Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloggers/Influencers: Why are they popular?

Options
  • 15-05-2016 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've been a long time lurker here on boards and have read a lot of the threads on bloggers and influencers in Ireland.
    I have one question - there is about 10 of these women and men at the top of their game, but it would appear no one actually likes them!!! So WHY are they SO popular and why are they racking in the cash!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Collective stupidity amongst the younger generation?

I attended a digital media event a couple of months ago where a snapchatter spoke. Yes he talked about what he does (keep things informal, not too corporate etc), but then I went and checked out his snapchat. Inane meanderings of an immature mind yet the younger people attending were in awe of him, you'd think they'd met their local khardashian. I went and checked out his snapchat, and came away with the impression that snapchat is Twitter for the illiterate - at least tweeting takes effort so people (sometimes) engage the brain while typing.

If you can build a following, you can monetise it. I'm realistic, no one wants to hear my opinions on makeup, food or even the state of Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Its a fascinating area! There's even a debate as to the differences between Influencers vs. Celebrities. And to the passer by, you might say, so what, who cares.

Influencers resonate with their followers in a variety of social media, but they are seen as "experts" - a lofty definition, I think in terms of some of the "inane" subjects they are experts in.

But, and here's the rub: advertisers (native) love them. Now there's a growing push for some of the experts content to come clean if their content is from some grubby PR person who has crossed their palm with 40 pieces to highlight a clients product.

Why the pressure to publicise if a person is promoting a product/service is being paid for that promotion?

From an Adweek survey: Around 40 percent of respondents said they’ve purchased an item online after seeing it used by an influencer on Instagram, Twitter, Vine or YouTube.

So, you can see the financial aspects to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Here's a rare card shared at another Digital marketing event

https://mobile.twitter.com/RJWarren/status/723468303943999488

And an article on the Irish 'scene'

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-bloggers-money-transparency-2722012-May2016/

It is fascinating in a way how how person can connect do broadly and build an audience, yet another doesn't. Is it the language, the imagery, the products they highlight? It's like in the playground as a kid, there are always some that have charisma that attract all the other kids and others who are less popular.

I think a Stellar survey showed 79% of Irish young consumers have purchased based on a blogger recommendation - it's a lot of power!

I don't find any of the popular Irish personalities engaging or enthralling. It could be that I'm not Irish (though here six years), but I'm not impressed by anyone from 'home' either. One Irish personality who is a 'stylist' I struggle to identify with; my OH described it best when he said she looks rough, like she fell out of bed hungover and dressed in whatever she found on the floor. I doubt I'd ever but anything she promoted but I guess if this is her job, someone must do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

BasicBetty wrote: »
    I have one question - there is about 10 of these women and men at the top of their game, but it would appear no one actually likes them!!!

They evidently have a big volunteered following and my friends on facebook share their videos so at least my friends like them.
    Who are these people not liking them? Boardsies?

Advertisement