Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with weeds and wildflowers

Options
  • 14-05-2016 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

So I have some kind of tall, fern-leafed white flowery thing growing excessively in the meadow that surrounds the house (we called it 'cow parsley' as a kid but I wouldn't bet on our having identified the species correctly). I hate it, and it sets off everyone's hayfever. I'm spraying it currently, trying to avoid the other wild plants as far as possible. I'm also digging it up by the roots, going to do half and half and see which approach seems to work better.

It also seems to have supplanted some of the other plants and wildflowers, the ones that grew in the shade have nearly all been replaced by this thing. Would it be worth getting in a few native species from somewhere like seedaholic, or should I just leave the place to do its own thing? I know to avoid the generic 'wild flower seed' mixes.

I'd love to have a few bluebells about the place, for example, or to plant something for the bees or butterflies and wild birds. If this would be a good or viable idea, have ye any suggestions? It's your average clay-ey meadow with lots of nettles, dandelions, the occasional cowslip that gets guarded with pride, that kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you do introduce bluebells be sure and get native rather than Spanish bluebells. The Spanish bluebells are like grey squirrels compared to native red squirrels, they are out-breeding the dainty, perfumed native bluebells, and they are very invasive.

Advertisement