Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napoleon Bonaparte in Movies

Options
  • 14-05-2016 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Are there any movies which accurately portray the life of Napoleon Bonaparte? I've searched, but haven't come across any which have been recommended.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There were a number of TV dramas about a decade ago, but none that were that memoriable. Of the modern books, I'd recommend Napoleon and Wellington, parallel lives as an interesting read: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/144175.Napoleon_and_Wellington.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

I highly recommend Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

There is a film called Waterloo which was made in the Soviet Union with a western main cast in the early 70s. The battle scenes are terrific because somewhere between 15-20,000 Red Army troops were used as extras and they had all spent months prior to film learning proper musket drills and infantry tactics. The Soviets even carried out a massive landscaping scheme to make the battlefield as authentic as possible. It's unlikely any film will ever be made on this scale again and it looks so much better than CGI.

Here's a wee clip as a sample....

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

There's Waterloo (1970).

Waterloo1970.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Huh, it seems great minds think alike, Arsemageddon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement