Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual monitor setup help

Options
  • 14-05-2016 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys need help setting up a dual monitor for extended display but it's giving me headaches.

I'm currently using windows 8.1 and have a single monitor connected via VGA cable which works fine. I then got a DVI to VGA connector from Maplin and plugged it into my 2nd monitor, the computer wont recognise that the monitor is even plugged in. The DVI connector is DVI-A which i asked him for DVD-I and he said it was the same. So now im thinking it's the connector or something is disabled in the Bios. I tried plugging in the DVI to VGA monitor by itself and its a no go. Is it the adapter? Also sorry if this is the wrong thread.

GFX ATI AMD radeon r7 200
    windows 8.1
    Socket FM2+ motherboard

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you using both outputs from the graphics card or splitting between motherboard and graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Which socket is the 2nd monitor being plugged in?

Video card?
    If yes, does the video card support multiple monitors?

Motherboard?
    (I'm not too sure about this kind of configuration/setup - don't think it is supported - where you're using both video card and motherboard to drive monitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tacky80s

Hey guys thanks for reply's

The both monitors are connected to The gfx card nothing is plugged into the the onboard gfx, in the bios that is set to auto so it switches off once a card is in it. Either way though should i be getting at least one monitor working through the DVI port?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah it should work. DVI adapter could be faulty but doesnt sound super likely as they're so simple.

Have you physically disconnected the VGA cable from the other port on the GFX card side? I've seen cards disable one port in hardware when another port is cabled as its a shared output.

Can you confirm that you have the right adapter that would work with the monitor(s).

http://iogear.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2209/~/what-is-the-difference-between-dvi-a,-dvi-d-and-dvi-i

What is the exact make and model of the card? - Need to confirm that it does support dual monitors and in what configuration.

• Advertisement

Hey guys got gfx card info it's a core Radeon R7 240D low profile card i looked up the specs which states that the DVI Port is an SL-DVI-D and im using a DVI-A adapter is this most likely the problem? sounds like it.

You need the Single-Link DVI-D adapter.

Did the gfx card box come with any adapters?

What kind of monitor is the 2nd one? What kind of socket does the cable have?

Do you have the CCC program installed? (software for the graphics card). If yes, check that 2nd monitor option is enabled.

The Main monitor is an Acer k222HQL 19.5" Has VGA and DVI input
    The 2nd one is a Dell 15" Has VGA input
    The card came bundled with pc without box,manual or accessories

neither monitor will work when connected through DVI adapter even when connected alone.

I checked the AMD catalyst center and no other monitor shows up
    I also went the windows way and checked ,devices,project,extend screen, still nothing
    tried control panel, screen resolution, no second display showing up there.

Its simply just not detecting that there is anything in the DVI port.

In Bios i have option to

NB PCIe slot video - enables current card im using as current disply (this is on and is default)
    IGD Video - sets the onboard graphics as first display
    PCI - sets PCI as main display

It's a bit usless that's all im getting in bios so nothing is switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think most graphics cards which have analogue over dvi, don't have a VGA connection, hence this is provided over the dvi connection. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but your card has a VGA connection on it which you are currently using? The dvi connection may not provides analogue in this case. Have you tried using a dvi cable with it to connect the other monitor? Or the HDMI (could try connecting to a TV)?

Ok, we're kind of getting somewhere ... :-)

1) Plug the Dell into the VGA socket.

2) Plug the Acer into the HDMI socket.

See if this combination would work - it'll be a temporary solution until you get the DVI issue sorted.

Now for the DVI, you would need a Single-Link DVI-D cable - not an adapter - i.e. no conversion to VGA. Use this cable to connect the Acer to the gfx card.

• Advertisement

Hey guys problem solved for now. Monitor doesn't have hdmi so got DVI-D to hdmi adapter because the price of the standard dvi cable was through the roof. all is working now. So I guess the moral of this story is know your dvi output type... lesson learned.
    Thanks for all your help :)

Advertisement