Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are all the Golf GTD's?

Options
  • 14-05-2016 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

My son is looking for one, he has a budget of approx €16K so probably looking for 2011-2012 model but there seems to be very few of them down here for sale.
    There are plenty of them in the UK and across the border which he could bring in and VRT for approx the same price even after currency conversion but there must be a few somewhere down here... :confused:

Also, anything to watch out for on these cars....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I suppose the main reason is that the MK6 Golf sold in relative small numbers. Car sales were on their arse from 2009-12 and really only have recovered fully in the last 12 months.

I bought a new GTD in 2011. Very good car, no issues with it. Good mpg and pokey enough performance, it was a great motorway cruiser.

UK cars would generally have better spec. Irish Golfs were still miserable enough spec wise back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

That's probably it so, there's plenty of them to be had up north, even after currency and VRT they're still a lot of car for the money and a bit cheaper than what they go for here...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I suppose the main reason is that the MK6 Golf sold in relative small numbers. Car sales were on their arse from 2009-12 and really only have recovered fully in the last 12 months.

I bought a new GTD in 2011. Very good car, no issues with it. Good mpg and pokey enough performance, it was a great motorway cruiser.

UK cars would generally have better spec. Irish Golfs were still miserable enough spec wise back then.

Joe what mileage are you getting to a tank, my cousin has a 2010 and says it's not that good on diesel but he has 19" wheels on his. Just wondering is it making a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

I had a 2009 Gtd for a year. It was a UK import and was well specced. If you come across a red 2009 do be nice to it! Main reason I bought it was the low milage and history (had a been a motability lease car).

Anyhoo, to answer one question above I would have gotten an average of 6.1l/100km. I do drive like an old man though... Because I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

th hen wrote: »
    Joe what mileage are you getting to a tank, my cousin has a 2010 and says it's not that good on diesel but he has 19" wheels on his. Just wondering is it making a huge difference

I can't remember exactly now (I sold it 3 years ago) but I probably averaged 40mpg ish. Most of my driving was short commutes around town. On a long motorway spin it would do 50+.

• Advertisement

Cheers joe, his is all small commutes but he went from a gti to Gtd and reckoned he was as well to have gti as he was only getting 100 miles to a tank some weeks. I'm sure 19" wheels,short journeys and a heavy foots not helping.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You're not going to get superior fuel economy from a diesel by mostly doing short runs. Diesel engines take longer to warm up than petrol engines so fuel economy suffers as a result. Diesels are more frugal on long runs.

Very true, to be fair my c250 cdi is getting 600 miles every tank and 204 bhp and not doing any long journeys really either. Seems way better than his gtd considering extra power. My foots prob not as heavy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Short journeys from cold really kill diesel economy. I've often gotten sub 40mpg for a short journey from cold (8km approx) and on the same journey when warm gotten over 60mpg.

The mk7 GTD is getting much better economy than the mk6. I've heard circa 50mpg for the mk6, and 60mpg plus for the mk7. I've had heard of problems that people had with Octavia VRS (same mechanically) with oil sludging and injectors, but I reckon the level of maintenance and oil type used would have an influence on that.

Gtd's are fine cars regardless. Who would have though we would have seen diesel cars performing like petrol turbo cars, remember when the 306 d turbo came out, probably the start of hot hatch diesels and then vw blew us away with the 150 got tdi golf.

• Advertisement

He's now thinking about a Scirocco, there seems to be plenty of them about, particularly the 1.4TSI.
    How would a Scirocco compare to the GTD Golf...?
    Would there be much of a difference in performance/economy between a 2.0GTD and a 1.4TSI petrol...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's a grey 152 one owned by a traveller family in Galway. I see it every now and again.

Very little headroom in them from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

He's now thinking about a Scirocco, there seems to be plenty of them about, particularly the 1.4TSI.
    How would a Scirocco compare to the GTD Golf...?
    Would there be much of a difference in performance/economy between a 2.0GTD and a 1.4TSI petrol...?

How much mileage does he do?

Does he really need a diesel? if you want a performance hot hatch get a petrol car. As good as the GTD Golf is it is no sports car.

He does about thirty miles each way to work almost every day plus a lot of running around in the evenings and at weekends. Can a 1.4 tsi be considered a hot hatch...?
    I thought a Scirocco was just a shapely Golf...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

He does about thirty miles each way to work almost every day plus a lot of running around in the evenings and at weekends. Can a 1.4 tsi be considered a hot hatch...?
    I thought a Scirocco was just a shapely Golf...?

The 1.4 TSI GT Golf can be tuned, very easily, to north of 200BHP with more torque than a GTI. It has 160BHP stock and is really favorable to tuning owing to a turbo and supercharger. Another upshot is the economy stays very consistent, even at a higher tune and is on par with the diesel.

I only came across it recently and given the huge selection for sale, and the keen pricing, I'm thinking of taking one as a project. The downside however, as always in Ireland, is higher specs are thin on the ground. All told though, a 1.4 that can take a GTI? Sold :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

ironclaw wrote: »
    The 1.4 TSI GT Golf can be tuned, very easily, to north of 200BHP with more torque than a GTI. It has 160BHP stock and is really favorable to tuning owing to a turbo and supercharger. Another upshot is the economy stays very consistent, even at a higher tune and is on par with the diesel.

I only came across it recently and given the huge selection for sale, and the keen pricing, I'm thinking of taking one as a project. The downside however, as always in Ireland, is higher specs are thin on the ground. All told though, a 1.4 that can take a GTI? Sold :pac:

The downside is the timing chain system was engineered to be complete crap. Oooops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

1.4 tsi scirocco can only be gotten with the 122bhp engine they didn't sell them with anything else here. Whereas the 1.4tsi golf was sold in 122bhp, 140bhp and 170bhp versions here. But to answer your question yes there would be a fairly substantial power difference between a 122 bhp scirocco and a 170 bhp GTD and there would be a good 10-15 mpg gap in fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

CIP4 wrote: »
    1.4 tsi scirocco can only be gotten with the 122bhp engine they didn't sell them with anything else here. Whereas the 1.4tsi golf was sold in 122bhp, 140bhp and 170bhp versions here. But to answer your question yes there would be a fairly substantial power difference between a 122 bhp scirocco and a 170 bhp GTD and there would be a good 10-15 mpg gap in fuel consumption.

My wife had the 122bhp Scirroco. Driving that and a GTD back to back, the Scirroco is slow in comparison and fuel economy is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The downside is the timing chain system was engineered to be complete crap. Oooops.

I've heard the early models had some issues mainly with injection patterns and some other piston / rail problems albeit only when tuned or at higher mileages with poor maintenance. Seems to have been iron'd out after mid-2010 (I think) Still, lot of potential in a car that small.

• Advertisement

Thanks, he rang his insurance company for a couple of sample quotes and the Scirocco 2.0 and the Golf GTD and they told him the premium would be exactly the same as his current car, for the Scirocco 1.4tsi his premium would actually drop by approx €200....

He's found a GTD and it's a really nice clean one so he's very happy with it. We did the due diligence on it and it all checks out.
    I never thought about it at the time but I've just checked now and seen that it's affected by the Dieslegate scandal, should we be concerned....?
    The VW website where I checked the status said that VW will be in touch shortly to deal with the problem but will they be able to track him down or will he have to get in touch with them to tell them he's the owner...?
    Does he need to do anything about this or can he just leave it as it is...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

He's found a GTD and it's a really nice clean one so he's very happy with it. We did the due diligence on it and it all checks out.
    I never thought about it at the time but I've just checked now and seen that it's affected by the Dieslegate scandal, should we be concerned....?
    The VW website where I checked the status said that VW will be in touch shortly to deal with the problem but will they be able to track him down or will he have to get in touch with them to tell them he's the owner...?
    Does he need to do anything about this or can he just leave it as it is...?

Leave it as it is. Drive away! :D

millington wrote: »
    Leave it as it is. Drive away! :D

That's what I was suggesting, if you have to choose between a loss in performance/economy and a bunch of tree hugging dolphin loving environmentalist, the Dolphins get it every time.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

My son is looking for one, he has a budget of approx €16K so probably looking for 2011-2012 model but there seems to be very few of them down here for sale.
    There are plenty of them in the UK and across the border which he could bring in and VRT for approx the same price even after currency conversion but there must be a few somewhere down here... :confused:

Also, anything to watch out for on these cars....?

Any luck with this in same situation thks paddy

Yes, he found a really nice original Irish one in the end, came across it by chance as it had been taken in as a trade in by the garage he bought it from. Also looked at a couple of dodgy ones as well but quickly discounted them.
    It might be a good time to consider one from the North with the exchange rate so good at the moment plus they're usually higher spec.
    If you're looking for something closer to home I spotted one by chance on a forecourt of a car dealer on the Naas road as I drove past the other day.
    No idea of the year, price or even the name of the dealer but it was just between the Long Mile Road and the Red Cow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Yes, he found a really nice original Irish one in the end, came across it by chance as it had been taken in as a trade in by the garage he bought it from. Also looked at a couple of dodgy ones as well but quickly discounted them.
    It might be a good time to consider one from the North with the exchange rate so good at the moment plus they're usually higher spec.
    If you're looking for something closer to home I spotted one by chance on a forecourt of a car dealer on the Naas road as I drove past the other day.
    No idea of the year, price or even the name of the dealer but it was just between the Long Mile Road and the Red Cow...
    Yes I had been given thought to that ..with higher spec etc...I'm very fearful of getting stuck with a dud! Thks for reply

Advertisement