Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Peacoks Closing?

Options
  • 14-05-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

I saw a Closing Down sign in the window today and a notice stating the nearest store was in Carlow.

If so this is another major blow to the city.

This along with Debanhams being in examinership and all the other closures in town recently as well as the recent job losses in Nypro and the VLM in trouble also

The situation and outlook is bleak and we certainly aren't seeing the so called upturn that seems to be kicking in around Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Yeah heard the other day they were closing. Pity alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jimbojazz wrote:
    The situation and outlook is bleak and we certainly aren't seeing the so called upturn that seems to be kicking in around Dublin.

Hmmm, upturn and recovery! Ireland's got a lot of sole searching to do!

Recent joblesses here are worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

jimbojazz wrote: »

Yes we are.

Heres just one agencies page for Waterford right now.

http://www.hartleypeople.com/search-jobs.php?kwd=&cat=&loc=48&search=SEARCH

Some people are only happy when they are sad. Pity they feel the need to try bring everyone down to their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Yes we are.

Heres just one agencies page for Waterford right now.

http://www.hartleypeople.com/search-jobs.php?kwd=&cat=&loc=48&search=SEARCH

Some people are only happy when they are sad. Pity they feel the need to try bring everyone down to their level.

Wow, if you'd bothered to check the timeline on those vacancies you'd see they date back to December last year - yeah upturn alight, most of them probably job bridge

We've still the highest unemployment rate in the country, shops closing weekly, city centre dead, factory redundancies, construction still on it's knees in Waterford, large amount of youth unemployed.

Bury your head in the sand if you like and believe the tripe about an upturn.

And, yeah, it is sad to see another business closing

Wow, if you'd bothered to check the timeline on those vacancies you'd see they date back to December last year - yeah upturn alight, most of them probably job bridge

We've still the highest unemployment rate in the country, shops closing weekly, city centre dead, factory redundancies, construction still on it's knees in Waterford, large amount of youth unemployed.

Bury your head in the sand if you like and believe the tripe about an upturn.

And, yeah, it is sad to see another business closing

Go to the doctor and get help.

Its people like you with the constant negative attitude towards everything that has the county morale destroyed.

How sad to actually try convince people that every job on the agencies website as actually outdated and not available. Literally 100s of well paid jobs there and you spin this Jobbridge bull**** like the rest of the Facebook dumb dumbs. 100s of jobs in chronological order with the oldest being Dec 2015.

• Advertisement

Go to the doctor and get help.

Its people like you with the constant negative attitude towards everything that has the county morale destroyed.

How sad to actually try convince people that every job on the agencies website as actually outdated and not available. Literally 100s of well paid jobs there and you spin this Jobbridge bull**** like the rest of the Facebook dumb dumbs. 100s of jobs in chronological order with the oldest being Dec 2015.

Shut up you fool, I never said they all were - read it back, 100's get an eye test you wally - there's about 50 there and not all in Waterford

Keep wearing the rose tinted glases

You don't know me so don't even dare call me negative - I pointed out that a shop was closing - which is negative and that a factory is also leaving people go - all in a week. Yeah there's some jobs being created. I agree, but the city is still suffering

Shut up you fool, I never said they all were - read it back, 100's get an eye test you wally - there's about 50 there and not all in Waterford

Keep wearing the rose tinted glases

People would rather sit on their fat holes and complain on Boards and Facebook than actually learn the skills needed to fill the well paid jobs that are clearly there no matter what nonsense excuses people like you try and make.

There where never jobs for people who cant be arsed to teach themselves an employable skill. Thats never gonna change.

Also you do realise thats just one agency yeah. How many jobs would you actually need shown to you to make you stop whinging?

Hundreds of jobs announced in the last few weeks alone and nowhere to be seen. A few layoffs and he has the microphone out on Boards and Facebook to bring the morale down. Typical Waterford attitude.

People would rather sit on their fat holes and complain on Boards and Facebook than actually learn the skills needed to fill the well paid jobs that are clearly there no matter what nonsense excuses people like you try and make.

There where never jobs for people who cant be arsed to teach themselves an employable skill. Thats never gonna change.

Also you do realise thats just one agency yeah. How many jobs would you actually need shown to you to make you stop whinging?

Hundreds of jobs announced in the last few weeks alone and nowhere to be seen. A few layoffs and he has the microphone out on Boards and Facebook to bring the morale down. Typical Waterford attitude.

You really are a twat - do you realise that the jobs posted on that one agency will also be posted on every other agency.

There's still the bones of 11k people out of work in the city and county - are you saying all those cant be arsed to work.

You're living an an ivory tower - wake up.

Get another thing straight - I've never once in my life sat on my arse and done SFA - during the recession in the 90's I was made redundant - I retrained and got a job in a different skill. When things got better I was lucky enough to get a job in my old profession. Once again, in this recession I was made redundant - I left my wife and kids and got a job abroad, you still with me, I worked away for 3 years - 3 years of my kids having a skype relationship with their dad.

I came back 2 years ago, after landing a job back here - now here's the thing - I took that job but the money I'm on is way less than what I was on 10 years ago, I work longer hours, don't take days off and had to come in over my holidays including Christmas without getting a penny extra for it.

I'm in an industry that has suffered more than others - and things were looking up 2 years ago but this year there has been no movement in it.

I'm now faced with a dilemma - do I stay here and work for slave labour hours for crap money or do I leave the kids again and go back to where I was earning about 30k year more than I am here for the same job

So yeah, if I sound a bit negative, maybe its just the way things are at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

DS, that is not typical Waterford attitude, you'll always get minority but loud whingers in Ireland and beyond so will you stop bad mouthing us.I do agree with your some people on here overly pessimistic talk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

disturbingly, many believe, if our economy is 'rising', everything is just fine! since when does a 'recovery' mean hundreds of homeless families, many more to be homeless soon, and an almost completely wrecked public health care system! something is fundamentally wrong! we should be ashamed of ourselves. we have a very broken society and its on life support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

The ShoeZone in Barronstrand Street is closing as well, they have signs up in store, staff say its shutting shop in July.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    The ShoeZone in Barronstrand Street is closing as well, they have signs up in store, staff say its shutting shop in July.

Careful now............:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Lads and ladies, please keep it civil or else infractions will have to be handed out, less of the personal insults please

You really are a twat - do you realise that the jobs posted on that one agency will also be posted on every other agency.

There's still the bones of 11k people out of work in the city and county - are you saying all those cant be arsed to work.

You're living an an ivory tower - wake up.

Get another thing straight - I've never once in my life sat on my arse and done SFA - during the recession in the 90's I was made redundant - I retrained and got a job in a different skill. When things got better I was lucky enough to get a job in my old profession. Once again, in this recession I was made redundant - I left my wife and kids and got a job abroad, you still with me, I worked away for 3 years - 3 years of my kids having a skype relationship with their dad.

I came back 2 years ago, after landing a job back here - now here's the thing - I took that job but the money I'm on is way less than what I was on 10 years ago, I work longer hours, don't take days off and had to come in over my holidays including Christmas without getting a penny extra for it.

I'm in an industry that has suffered more than others - and things were looking up 2 years ago but this year there has been no movement in it.

I'm now faced with a dilemma - do I stay here and work for slave labour hours for crap money or do I leave the kids again and go back to where I was earning about 30k year more than I am here for the same job

So yeah, if I sound a bit negative, maybe its just the way things are at the moment

All us positive people up in our Ivory towers. Must be horrible to resent your life.

Interesting that its always someone elses fault.

Cracking up because i dont agree with your bull**** bleak future nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

As someone who has spent time looking for jobs over the last two years can say that there is a small amount of what someone may call a good job out there, there are a significant amount of jobsbridge ****e and then the silly schemes. I guess anyone of those options could be of benefit to anyone depending on their needs and wants.

Personally I had to go through college to get the qualification I needed to do what I wanted. For me it was the correct path to follow and now I'm starting in a job soon. Happy days. Sometimes with some situations people need to do things to make things happen and sometimes it's beyond their control.

Do I believe there is a recovery.....Yes maybe for some but for others it is still a very tough time. There is no hiding from the closures and if people are mentioning it then maybe it's due to the fact they aren't one of the lucky ones who are seeing or feeling a recovery so they feel it's something that needs mentioning.

All us positive people up in our Ivory towers. Must be horrible to resent your life.

Interesting that its always someone elses fault.

Cracking up because i dont agree with your bull**** bleak future nonsense.

My God, but you really are a case.

Who's cracking up - you're the one that went off on one because I dare ask a question if a shop was closing and then commented basically on what clearly is still a concern i.e. businesses are still closing and factories still leaving people go. It's also a concern that Peacocks are only open fairly recently and as another poster pointed out that Shoe Zone are also closing.

And where are you getting that I hate my life, what an uneducated comment to make

And where do I blame anyone, you just don't have a clue and clearly struggle with the English language and understanding or interpreting plain written text.

You need a reality check, but then again from your username you probably work in IT, which would explain your removal from the real world. You're lucky that you made that career choice and well done for that, but there are others who don't have a choice. I'm also lucky I have qualifications and they gave me the opportunity to get out of here during the recession and earn a decent living and keep my family fed and in a house. I'm also lucky that I have a job and despite the pay being not what it should be, I like it.

You also seem to think that everyone not working is a waster and cant be asred to get a job - what a horrible opinion, the majority of people who can't find work want to work.

Also, as other posters have said, there are serious issues in this country that are at crisis level, homelessness - or are these also the ones that cant be arsed, the health crisis, youth unemployment, crime, lack of investment in rural communities.

We have a two tier economy in Ireland, Dublin is booming in parts but they too have social problems.

And, like I said there are positive things happening in Waterford, sure, there are some new jobs, the public realm works will make a difference and if the new shopping centre ever goes ahead, that will hopefully improve the city centre.

I have a positive outlook generally, and I'm hopeful that things will improve, but I'm also not going to have this happy clappy attitude that you have and brush all the issues that need to be resolved under the carpet.

And, like another poster has correctly pointed out, not everyone is feeling the recovery that is being spun, people are still struggling to keep their houses, keep themselves fed etc., but hey don't talk about this for fear of ruining your wine and cheese evening

• Registered Users Posts: 22 X22Report

My God, but you really are a case.

Who's cracking up - you're the one that went off on one because I dare ask a question if a shop was closing and then commented basically on what clearly is still a concern i.e. businesses are still closing and factories still leaving people go. It's also a concern that Peacocks are only open fairly recently and as another poster pointed out that Shoe Zone are also closing.

And where are you getting that I hate my life, what an uneducated comment to make

And where do I blame anyone, you just don't have a clue and clearly struggle with the English language and understanding or interpreting plain written text.

You need a reality check, but then again from your username you probably work in IT, which would explain your removal from the real world. You're lucky that you made that career choice and well done for that, but there are others who don't have a choice. I'm also lucky I have qualifications and they gave me the opportunity to get out of here during the recession and earn a decent living and keep my family fed and in a house. I'm also lucky that I have a job and despite the pay being not what it should be, I like it.

You also seem to think that everyone not working is a waster and cant be asred to get a job - what a horrible opinion, the majority of people who can't find work want to work.

Also, as other posters have said, there are serious issues in this country that are at crisis level, homelessness - or are these also the ones that cant be arsed, the health crisis, youth unemployment, crime, lack of investment in rural communities.

We have a two tier economy in Ireland, Dublin is booming in parts but they too have social problems.

And, like I said there are positive things happening in Waterford, sure, there are some new jobs, the public realm works will make a difference and if the new shopping centre ever goes ahead, that will hopefully improve the city centre.

I have a positive outlook generally, and I'm hopeful that things will improve, but I'm also not going to have this happy clappy attitude that you have and brush all the issues that need to be resolved under the carpet.

And, like another poster has correctly pointed out, not everyone is feeling the recovery that is being spun, people are still struggling to keep their houses, keep themselves fed etc., but hey don't talk about this for fear of ruining your wine and cheese evening

Spot on jimbojazz

Advertisement