Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 323 drinking oil

Options
  • 13-05-2016 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi my trusty 98 Mazda 323 is drinking oil, probably full capacity ie nearly 3 litres every 5k miles. There's no leaks and I had the camshaft and crankshaft seals replaced less than a year ago. Went to check oil tonight which I stupidly haven't check since last top up 6 weeks ago and she's nearly bone dry!

She's the 1.3 lx with 130k miles. I have some rust I need repaired on both arches for next nct so considering the car is worth very little, wondering if I should keep her or get something else?

Cars still driving perfect so need some advice ,maybe the engines goosed or will be soon?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I'd imagine if there are no external leaks, then oil is getting past the rings into the combustion chamber. Has it been in any way smokey? Especially a blue tinge, or a bit smelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

TrailerBob wrote: »
    I'd imagine if there are no external leaks, then oil is getting past the rings into the combustion chamber. Has it been in any way smokey? Especially a blue tinge, or a bit smelly?

Yes a bit Smokey not sure bout blue tinge but if you put the foot down there is some, not excessive smoke.

Sorry is the blue tinge a sign of worn piston ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could check the PCV (pipe that sticks out the top of the engine) and see if it's blocked.
    To be fair though, we had one and it was piston rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

It can be a sign of oil burning in larger than desired amounts. Might not be fatal, I believe that's within acceptable tolerance, but its a bit much for my liking.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You could check the PCV (pipe that sticks out the top of the engine) and see if it's blocked.
    To be fair though, we had one and it was piston rings.

Actually now that you say it, the black pipe on top of engine seem to be 1/4 inch up from its proper sitting position and a small amount of oil around said pipe, would that suggest its block as it seems to be getting slightly forced up if that makes sense

TrailerBob wrote: »
    It can be a sign of oil burning in larger than desired amounts. Might not be fatal, I believe that's within acceptable tolerance, but its a bit much for my liking.

Yes seems a bit much I have been doing changes every 5 or 6k but seems like I'm topping up a couple of litres in between these changes , as I do alot of driving I generally do 5/6 k under 3 months so a bit annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Actually now that you say it, the black pipe on top of engine seem to be 1/4 inch up from its proper sitting position and a small amount of oil around said pipe, would that suggest its block as it seems to be getting slightly forced up if that makes sense

It's worth checking either way. It basically vents the crankcase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

If the engine cant breathe it will blow its load else where.

Ok pulled off the pcv pipe and it seems to be sucking in air as I believe it is suppose to do, with the oil filler cap off and pcv valve off lots of air being displaced through those holes, is that normal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement