Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering: Subjects

Options
  • 13-05-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

So I'm interested in studying engineering next year, but am a tad bit worried about the LC subjects I have. I'm quite good at maths (HL) and love science, I do biology and chemistry but I don't do physics ( 4th year me was quite stupid when it came to choosing subjects).

I am numerical and do accounting, I really like physics too and find it interesting. Maths wise, I prefer paper 1 and am good at calculus and all that jazz. Overall, I'm quite strong academically and aiming for high 500s if not 600 in the LC.

So, would my subjects be suitable for engineering? Would not having physics put me at a huge disadvantage? I'm also planning to skim through some physics books over the summer if that could help and I'm willing to put in extra work in college :)

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

All of your courses will start from the beginning assuming no previous knowledge, although the learning curve is steep and within the first few weeks you will likely have gone beyond the scope of LC Physics in certain areas. Applied Maths actually has more in common with university-level engineering courses than Physics imo.

The fact you're good at maths would indicate you could be good at engineering, although it's also dependent on how interested you are in the subject, as well as how much work you put in, obviously. Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about not having Physics; you will have to learn it at some point so if you do a bit of reading in your spare time over the summer that will certainly stand to you, but I wouldn't think about it at this stage.

Concentrate on your LC for the time being, you will have plenty of time in college to learn the course content. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

If you can work on some physics over the summer do as it will help but my son just did his Masters in Mechanical Engineering last year with no physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Hi, you will definitely be able for eng without physics and applied maths although you might struggle with the physics and mechanics modules in first year. First year results dont matter a huge amount though so its not really a big deal. Apart from first year, i dont think it will hold you back at all really. Im in final year elec eng for context

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

All of your courses will start from the beginning assuming no previous knowledge, although the learning curve is steep and within the first few weeks you will likely have gone beyond the scope of LC Physics in certain areas. Applied Maths actually has more in common with university-level engineering courses than Physics imo.

The fact you're good at maths would indicate you could be good at engineering, although it's also dependent on how interested you are in the subject, as well as how much work you put in, obviously. Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about not having Physics; you will have to learn it at some point so if you do a bit of reading in your spare time over the summer that will certainly stand to you, but I wouldn't think about it at this stage.

Concentrate on your LC for the time being, you will have plenty of time in college to learn the course content. Best of luck :)

Thank you! Anything in particular you would recommend for summer reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭nandoslover

Hi, you will definitely be able for eng without physics and applied maths although you might struggle with the physics and mechanics modules in first year. First year results dont matter a huge amount though so its not really a big deal. Apart from first year, i dont think it will hold you back at all really. Im in final year elec eng for context

Thank you! I plan to look into physics and applied maths over the summer a bit, are there any topics in particular you recommend?

Also, if you're in UCD, could you give me some general opinions on how you found the course, tips etc?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Thank you! I plan to look into physics and applied maths over the summer a bit, are there any topics in particular you recommend?

Also, if you're in UCD, could you give me some general opinions on how you found the course, tips etc?
    Thanks!

I would recommend taking it easy and enjoying your Summer. First year isn't too taxing so you should have plenty of time in the semester to keep up to date. There's roughly 250 students every year starting engineering in UCD so there is going to be countless students who will be in the same boat as you

Advertisement