Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V expired film

Options
  • 13-05-2016 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I picked up three rolls of Kodak 120 Verichrome (Ortho) with expiry date from 1946.
    Its been a while that I have done much "extreme" aged film processing,but was wondering if anyone else here has worked with film this far out of date.

I expect to expose it at 25asa and process by inspection as its not red sensitive which is some advantage but any ideas welcome….

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oldest i've exposed was BBE 1973, about five years ago. was nominally 80ISO iirc, and i found it performed best when i treated it as if it was between 10 and 20.
    i was given it by john gunn, so it would have been in his building on wexford street. it's an old building, so it was probably subject to some temperature swings over the years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i should mention that it was processed normally by gunns themselves. the only adjustments to account for loss of sensitivity were done at exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

It's a turkey shoot. Oldest rollfilm I've shot was some old AgaPan from 1974
    5269117311_f4696a270d_n.jpg

But I've shot glass plates from 1918 that came up a peach :-D
    16972084155_b3773591a9_n.jpg

It probably has more to do with how stuff is stored than anything else I'd say. Shoot it a couple of stops under, develop with some compensating developer, and hope for the best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I cannot add to the wisdom here but it's been waiting for such a long time make sure you shoot something special. Maybe use a second camera to repeat each shot as well.

It will be interesting to see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi,

thanks for replies.
    I got in touch wirh someone else yesterday and he suggested a few things re processing and iso.
    As the film is Ortho, I can at least process by inspection.

The oldest I ever processed was some ilford from 1973 and that worked out well, but 1946 is another ballgame.

Will consider what I shoot too. having 3 rolls and a hasselblad with tripod, will at least give me some control re exposures and exposure. I sense a lot of time exposures.
    Lots of manual fun...

Will post results when I have some thing to show.

• Advertisement
Advertisement