Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Decided to put Lexus through NCT early.

Options
  • 13-05-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

It failed :( everything on the car including the new custom exhaust passed so well i was very pleased with it..
    Unfortunately the smoked rear light light cluster doesn't seem to have a rear fog light, if it does i can't find it..and the last owner doesn't have old tail lights either.

So apart from buying used lights, anyone know if i can rig up a rear parking light as fog or even fit one to the defuser,

just grasping at straws here guys, any ideas.

Good news is i only need to pop back for inspection no additional cost for the cert.

382928.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Thought the rule was if the light is there it must work, not that it had to be present.

I've had a few jap imports pass the nct that didn't have a rear fog light at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

The factory switch inside the car created the fail no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭robbiew

The factory switch inside the car created the fail no doubt.

i don't want to go ripping the switch on the stalk out, maybe i'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a used set if i can find a breakers in my neck of the woods..

feck it anyway.. maybe if i use a black marker to rub out the symbol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wonder would you need both sides or just the side the fog light is on to pass it?

would they not find another reason to not pass if i had 1 led and 1 standard light cluster ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

robbiew wrote: »
    would they not find another reason to not pass if i had 1 led and 1 standard light cluster ?

Yes I've seen cars fail for amber on indicator lights not being right shade. I suppose if your getting one used get both to be sure. Should be some on Donedeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I imagine they would fail over two different type light clusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Thought the rule was if the light is there it must work, not that it had to be present.

I've had a few jap imports pass the nct that didn't have a rear fog light at all.

Those Jap imports probably didn't have a rear fog light as standard spec, I believe if the car has a fog light as part of its standard spec it must be present and working.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Those Jap imports probably didn't have a rear fog light as standard spec, I believe if the car has a fog light as part of its standard spec it must be present and working.

if its on the stalk id say it did.

Id imagine those are JDM or USDM lights that don't have a rear fog in it.

Suggestion would be to find the wire in the rear light loom that activates the rear fog, then fit something like this : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/F1-Car-LED-Laser-Rear-Fog-Light-Warning-Anti-Collision-Taillight-For-Ford-/261974956486?hash=item3cfeec99c6:g:xwkAAOSwu4BVrVY5 under the rear bumper. You only need 1

Also have a look at the lexus parts catalogue , those rear reflectors may have a rear fog / reflector combo available instead.

if its on the stalk id say it did.

Id imagine those are JDM or USDM lights that don't have a rear fog in it.

Suggestion would be to find the wire in the rear light loom that activates the rear fog, then fit something like this : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/F1-Car-LED-Laser-Rear-Fog-Light-Warning-Anti-Collision-Taillight-For-Ford-/261974956486?hash=item3cfeec99c6:g:xwkAAOSwu4BVrVY5 under the rear bumper. You only need 1

Also have a look at the lexus parts catalogue , those rear reflectors may have a rear fog / reflector combo available instead.

Cheers lads, gives me something to do alright, that ebay one or similar is prob my best and cheapest option id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I would guess the car is not a Jap import, judging my the reg plate and number. If there is a switch for a rear fog, then should should be a rear fog light. My brother has a euro Civic with aftermarket rear clusters, and failed for having no rear fog light.

He fitted a foglight into the rear bumper, and passed the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

robbiew wrote: »
    Cheers lads, gives me something to do alright, that ebay one or similar is prob my best and cheapest option id say.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Car-Red-Len-Rear-Bumper-Reflector-LED-Stop-Brake-Light-Tail-Fog-Parking-Lamp/32636302146.html?spm=2114.40010608.4.37.b5028t as I suspected , somebody does make them, replace one of your reflectors with one of those, be grand.

Car was english when brought over from new, so def not jap import, will pop up to auto electrician on monday to try and get sorted without adding any more light,
    thanks for the help lads.

that's the job, great find EC..:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I find this odd. My golf gti has been through 3 NCTs with no bulb even installed in the fog light. Passed every time. 3 different NCT centres.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    I find this odd. My golf gti has been through 3 NCTs with no bulb even installed in the fog light. Passed every time. 3 different NCT centres.

Don't know why, but at least that's all it failed on so i'll get a temp fix to get the new disc and order some led fogs for the rear and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Brian? wrote: »

Golf mk 4 only has 1 rear fog light other side has no contact for the bulb even if you did want to fit 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Car99 wrote: »
    Golf mk 4 only has 1 rear fog light other side has no contact for the bulb even if you did want to fit 1

You only need 1 foglight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Yeah, mine only had one fog and one reverse, even though the lenses are there for the lights on the other side, so I rigged them up with bulb holders and have them on both sides now. Symmetry is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Yeah, mine only had one fog and one reverse, even though the lenses are there for the lights on the other side, so I rigged them up with bulb holders and have them on both sides now. Symmetry is nice

true enthusiast....:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Car99 wrote: »

I know how many fog lights my car has. I took the bulb from the fog light and put it in the tail light as it was gone. Meant to get a new bulb, keeps passing the NCT without it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

did a temp fix, got 2 years NCT and just ordered LED fogs for the car.. so i'm a happy camper.:D

Advertisement