Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you covered by 3rd party abroad for the duration of cover?

Options
  • 13-05-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Extended driving provided by most insurance companies is ~31 days.

I've been reading though that they are legally required to provide 3rd party cover throughout the EU for the duration of your cover. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I believe it is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

spuriosity wrote: »
    Extended driving provided by most insurance companies is ~31 days.

I've been reading though that they are legally required to provide 3rd party cover throughout the EU for the duration of your cover. Is this true?

They are obliged to provide the minimum level of cover required to legally drive in the country visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...which is 3rd Party practically all over the EU.
    The 31 days mentioned would normally indicate how long they will provide the full cover as stated in your policy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 greengone

The 31 days to my knowlege is only for comprehnsive part of the insurance .
    Theft is interesting case if you spent three months parked in some muslim ghetto region of Europe like Brussels where non muslim car owners are easy picking in that police no go war zone cant expect them to pay out

However EU rules best I can see are open ended some one year is my guess but nothing to stop insurance company to say 31 days but EU rules would wipe that out best i can tell

Thats why best i can see some Irish companies ssay third party no time limit for Eu travel

greengone wrote: »
    The 31 days to my knowlege is only for comprehnsive part of the insurance .
    Theft is interesting case if you spent three months parked in some muslim ghetto region of Europe like Brussels where non muslim car owners are easy picking in that police no go war zone cant expect them to pay out

However EU rules best I can see are open ended some one year is my guess but nothing to stop insurance company to say 31 days but EU rules would wipe that out best i can tell

Thats why best i can see some Irish companies ssay third party no time limit for Eu travel

it's also for the F&T bit if you have TPF&T.... in other words you have the bare minimum cover to make it legal, woe betide you if you have a problem.

I don't condone the Muslim bit....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I was told on this forum beforehand, that if car spends too much time abroad, then Irish insurer might try to get away from paying a claim based on fact that car is not parked in place where it was declared it is parked (address in Ireland).
    It's obvious that if you inform you Irish insurance that you normally keep your car abroad, they are going to cancel policy straight away.

I don't really believe it is true though, and I still believe they would have to pay out in case of a claim, even though car was not parked on declared address for extended period of time.

with a third party only cover, it makes no difference where it was parked surely. They wont be paying anything out to you for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The minimum cover required for almost all EU Countries( including Ireland) is 3rd Party only.
    This, therefore, is the extent of cover which Insurers are obliged to provide while you are driving your car abroad during the duration of the policy.
    Fire & Theft would not necessarily be included as they are not in the minimum cover requirement for most EU Countries.
    As long as your main address is in Ireland (ie. you have not emigrated permanently) then there should be no problem with taking your car anywhere in the EU for any length of time while your current Policy is still active.

Advertisement