Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Slight scratch going through yellow box junction

Options
  • 13-05-2016 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hello, just wondering what I should do in this situation. When I was driving to work this morning, I swung around the inside lane of a two-lane corner and found a car sitting with its back sticking out into the yellow box junction. I squeezed by in my lane, as there was a car ducking and diving in the lane beside me and now that I've gotten to work, I notice a tiny scrape along the side of my car. I thought I had clearance and I didn't hear or feel a bump.

Is this essentially a hit and run by me? Should I contact the Gardaí in case somebody reports it? Who is liable, the person in the yellow box junction or the person squeezing by (I'm guessing the person in the moving vehicle; me)? I emphasize that I actually didn't feel the contact being made and the scratch is so insignificant as to not even require turtle wax or anything.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Hello, just wondering what I should do in this situation. When I was driving to work this morning, I swung around the inside lane of a two-lane corner and found a car sitting with its back sticking out into the yellow box junction. I squeezed by in my lane, as there was a car ducking and diving in the lane beside me and now that I've gotten to work, I notice a tiny scrape along the side of my car. I thought I had clearance and I didn't hear or feel a bump.

Is this essentially a hit and run by me? Should I contact the Gardaí in case somebody reports it? Who is liable, the person in the yellow box junction or the person squeezing by (I'm guessing the person in the moving vehicle; me)? I emphasize that I actually didn't feel the contact being made and the scratch is so insignificant as to not even require turtle wax or anything.

Any info appreciated.

If it'sso insignificant and you didn't see or feel any contact how can you be sure it was done where and when you think?

Lots of reasons why you end up with scrapes on paintwork. Brushing past hedges. Dogs jumping up at the car, shopping trolleys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

As suggested above is just burying your head in the stand and looking for excuses.

Better to report it to the Gards, and your insurance company today and never have anything come of it, than have a Gard arrive at your front door who is sick and tired of looking through CCTV footage to get your reg.

If nothing ever comes of it, so be it, but it's in YOUR interest right now to report it and not have to worry about a potential fine and points for driving without due care, leaving the scene of an accident and whatever else the Gard could think up of.

Be honest, say you had no idea that you might have hit the car, but looking back, it's the only place you can think of where the scratch might have happened.

To clarify, you would be responsible because the other car here was stopped, and a longer(lighter) scratch on your car might have caused a smaller, but deeper and more noticeable scratch on the other car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Thanks for the useful info. Have reported the incident and the Garda I spoke to said that nothing was reported so far anyway. Like LastStop said, it could have happened anywhere. I was sure that it wasn't there before I left for work because I put my bags into back of the car and used that door so I would have noticed. That incident at the yellow box junction is the only time any other car was near enough to me to cause a scratch, so that's the most likely event to have caused it.

Advertisement