Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B4 Passat Tdi. Do they really live up to the myth?

Options
  • 13-05-2016 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

A granduncle of mine recently passed away and I was left a few things from his estate including a 1996 VW Passat Tdi. It only has 59000 on the clock, which are genuine. There isn't really much wrong with it apart the brakes which are now stone useless, and the driver side window which has a mind of its own. My question is would it be worth keeping it and using it? Are they as good as barstool mechanics I have come across say they are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Some lads on www.autostadt.ie have B4 passat's, should get some good info there.
    Personally I love that shape, especially the estate, if the body is on good shape you should have a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hate to say it as it sounds a cool car but I think you may struggle to insure it these days, with the way things have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mothball her and you would have a nice Classic in a few years.
    Otherwise I don't think insurance companies will welcome you to insure it as a mainstream motor for yourself. Pity but that's where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

_Brian wrote: »
    Mothball her and you would have a nice Classic in a few years.
    Otherwise I don't think insurance companies will welcome you to insure it as a mainstream motor for yourself. Pity but that's where we are.

Having said that, some of them are aggressively chasing new business. Bank of Ireland for example, are brokering for Royal and Sun Alliance these days and are giving half-decent quotes. AXA are usually worth a phone call as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

This might be sacrilege but wouldn't a diesel of that vintage be very slow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nissan are doing € 4000 scrappage until the end of the month afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Jesus. wrote: »
    This might be sacrilege but wouldn't a diesel of that vintage be very slow?

If it has the 1z TDI, it has 90bhp with plenty of torque, while it won't set the world on fire, it does the job. I had that engine in a mk3 golf (I know the Passat is heavier) and it was great. Had it remapped to approx 110bhp, great car, miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Utrecht ban old diesels - done with traffic cameras - 90 euro fine

http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/01/22/court-utrecht-allowed-to-ban-old-polluting-cars-from-city-center/

& anywhere there's €€€ to be made the SIMI were sure to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Seems a shame to scrap it, they were the best out there at the time. I do know someone that had one and the Fuel tank corroded but the car would have been well used. A modern day bus would accelerate faster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

If you insure it as a second car you might get a classic policy on it as it 20 years old.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    If you insure it as a second car you might get a classic policy on it as it 20 years old.

30yrs for a classic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

30 for the lower tax rate alright. Most of the classic insurers will give you a policy on a 20 year old car, if it's a second car.

Cui bono?

Advertisement