Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV - why no programme schedules in Irish newspapers?

Options
  • 12-05-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I have looked at the TV schedules in a number of Irish newspapers and none of them appear to print Schedules for Irish TV (191 on both Sky and eVision and FTA satellite). Some newspapers print schedules for certain UK satellite channels which I'd image have very low viewership but no listing for Irish TV. The Irish Times even prints the schedules for TV5Monde.
    What is going on?
    Is it that newspapers are looking for payment to include Irish TV in their TV listings?
    The (older) viewers that Irish TV often attracts, is more likely to use TV listings in the print media to see what is on TV, than use online or EPGs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

Saturday's Irish Sun has a very good weekly TV guide Magazine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TV schedules are written by people in Dublin who watch UPC/NTL/Virgin or Sky. If it is not on the two providers, it does not exist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Most people in Dublin really don't know this channel exists, honestly! To a certain extent yes, it is down to the dominance of Virgin Media in the capital, but also it was outright aimed at the Irish in Britain until relatively recently.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭mike2084

They publish listings in their own magazine available here http://www.irishtv.ie/shop/?product=irish-tv-guide-spring-2016-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

The demand just isn't there for it I'd expect. It's not exactly 'must watch' viewing, now is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

It's the more or less the same schedule day in day out county matters and out and about programmes so I don't think it's worth printing the schedule that repeats itself week in weekk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They need to do a last chance player column. Showing the programmes that will be going off the player the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Antenna

natashaob6 wrote: »
    It's the more or less the same schedule day in day out county matters and out and about programmes so I don't think it's worth printing the schedule that repeats itself week in weekk out.

They don't have the same schedule week in week out, They for example did Outside Broadcast events prior to the All Ireland finals recently, and who is going to be able to remember a weeks schedule anyway?. http://www.irishtv.ie/schedule

My point is that some channels that surely have a lower viewership in this country DO get published by newspapers here. For example I was looking in the Irish Daily STAR and they print the schedules for the Welsh language S4C. (Bear in mind it is totally Welsh language nowadays, unlike in times past the Analogue S4C carried most Channel 4 programmes as Channel 4 was not available via Welsh transmitters.)

Who would suggest S4C would have more viewers in Ireland than Irish TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Antenna wrote: »
    Who would suggest S4C would have more viewers in Ireland than Irish TV ?

Plenty watch for rugby coverage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Irish Times print the schedules for Sky and UPC but not Freesat. I presume because their editors/journos do not have Freesat or may never have heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

Are TV listings in newspapers not a quaint anachronism from the days before EPG's

Most irish newspapers also carry listings for UK radio nerworks which most parts of Ireland dont (readily) even recieve.

Stasi 2.0 wrote: »
    Are TV listings in newspapers not a quaint anachronism from the days before EPG's

Most irish newspapers also carry listings for UK radio nerworks which most parts of Ireland dont (readily) even recieve.

I think newspapers are a quaint anachronism.

The newspapers just cut and paste the listings without even editing them - nor do they care about how useful or otherwise they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Stasi 2.0

The radio sections are even worse. They often list stations on frequencies which havent been used in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think newspapers are a quaint anachronism.

The newspapers just cut and paste the listings without even editing them - nor do they care about how useful or otherwise they are.

I notice the Irish Times still shows a videoplus number after each program in their TV listings - does anyone use these any more - can you use them with a Saorview or Freesat DVR?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not with a PVR, you don't need them with an EPG.

Maybe there are DVD recorders still on the market that can use them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hah, Videoplus! That's a throwback!

I wonder does that feature work for people in the cities with access to Virgin Media analogue channels plugged into an older DVD/HDD recorder or VHS :eek:

byte wrote: »

I wonder does that feature work for people in the cities with access to Virgin Media analogue channels plugged into an older DVD/HDD recorder or VHS :eek:

My Granny of 100 was happy with videoplus she really doesn't like series record, and having to delete shows, she could just record over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

byte wrote: »

If you can find the list telling you which LCN you need to programme the channel to, probably. The Sunday Times used to give it to you about once every four years.
    Elmo wrote: »
    My Granny of 100 was happy with videoplus she really doesn't like series record, and having to delete shows, she could just record over.

My mother still can't figure out how she can't just "record over" stuff and even explaining that the protect function and letting the box delete as needed is basically the same as pulling a tape out to keep doesn't work. She's had Sky+ or another DVR for well over a decade - starting with an analogue twin tuner on cable.

L1011 wrote: »
    My mother still can't figure out how she can't just "record over" stuff and even explaining that the protect function and letting the box delete as needed is basically the same as pulling a tape out to keep doesn't work. She's had Sky+ or another DVR for well over a decade - starting with an analogue twin tuner on cable.
    It's a pity a warning doesn't come up to say "You are running out of space the oldest programmes not protected will be deleted to allow for your latest recordings"

Advertisement