Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 pea seed germinated

Options
  • 12-05-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I've had great success growing sugar peas in the past, but this year is a different story.
    I sowed approx 4 metres of pea seeds - Unwins and only 1 seed germinated. Its about 2 inches high now.
    I went digging today and I can't find the remains of any of the other seeds. There isn't even a hint that they were there. So I'm trying again and sowing the remaining seeds that I had in the packet.

Any idea what could of happened to them? The area is sealed off from cats, etc, and if the birds got the seedlings, one managed to escape. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

MICE! They will dig a long a row and eat every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

my3cents wrote: »
    MICE! They will dig a long a row and eat every single one.

Damn...never thought of mice. Jeez with 5 cat's in the surrounding houses always in our garden I'm sunk.
    Is there any other plants at risk? I've spuds, cauliflower., radishes, parsnip, carrots, onions in the same location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its just peas the seem to go for.

Edit> sorry forgot they also go for broad bean, french bean, squash, courgette and cucumber seeds but peas would be the top ones on their menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I posted the below a while back about the same problem. If I want to start peas early I use this below method. Later in the year I just plant a whole packet, maby 5 or 6 seeds at a station, outside and enough plants seem to make it through.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    It took me years to eventually arrive at this bright idea and a lot of disapointment. I grow sweetpea in trays in the polytunnel early in the year for planting out later in the year, and the mice are always digging up the trays and eating the seed. I tried loads of ideas to keep them at bay and eventually arrived at this that actually works.

The seed trays are in a top tray of water. That tray is aloft using 2 thin rose pots, which are in two bottom trays of water. Essentially 2 moats were needed to keep the mice away from the seeds.

314754.JPG

Advertisement