Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mad prices, where will it all end.

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Looking at the first page of Done Deal classic section this morning it seems like just about every car is worth between €20000 and €40000, do people here in Ireland really have that kind of money to splash out or are sellers just trying it on. Does anybody know someone who paid €40000 for a Mustang Coupe (not a fastback) or a kit car with a rover v8... I don't.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Just because some asking prices are high doesn't automatically mean those vehicles are worth that much.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Actually in my opinion, there are actually some decent prices there - I'm half tempted by the Range Rover...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

If that Chevy Chevelle really has 880 BHP and looks as good underneath then it's a lot of car for the money:

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1968-chevy-chevelle-ss/12297750

But how in the name of Jaysus can you see where you're going? More for the collectors I think (or investors).

Plenty of other American stuff and some kit cars are definitely overpriced, that's probably why they keep reappearing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A big problem is that some people benchmark their prices off top grade or even concours cars and price their reasonable or even poor machines to match. Then again, if the car has appeared on more than one occasion it could be said the car was overpriced (or a lousy buyer pulled out of a deal).

Another problem is that people buy a classic, spend a few bob on maintenance & upkeep and think they are a Wheeler Dealer. Then they add up all the bills they spent on the car, add it to their purchase price and their desired profit and never look at what the market has them pegged at price wise.

An example of this is I was looking at a RS2000 recently. It was fairly top dollar and there was no real movement on the price ("That's the price of them in the UK"). The price was on the ball for Grade A or almost concours ones, not the non matching number 1100 popular with an engine and trim swap he was selling. He got fair thick when I asked why was it priced as a near concours RS when he was selling a 1100 popular with an engine swap and poor/missing trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ianobrien wrote: »
    people buy a classic, spend a few bob on maintenance & upkeep and think they are a Wheeler Dealer. Then they add up all the bills they spent on the car, add it to their purchase price and their desired profit and never look at what the market has them pegged at price wise.

+1

Or even if they "modestly" will just take what it stands them (purchase price plus all moneys spent)

This is a ridiculous concept which has no relation at all with a market price for a car...

• Advertisement
Advertisement