Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing laptop HDD from 500GB to 2TB

Options
  • 11-05-2016 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 500GBB HDD in my laptop and I was wondering if I could upgrade it to a 2TB? Basically swap out the drives or would this cause an issue does anyone know?

The size of both drives is the same so that's not an issue and I'll obviously have to figure out some way of copying over all of the files but I don't see that being an issue either (I'm guessing I can use a USB to SATA adapter and connect both drives to another laptop).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The new drive will have to have an operating system.

You can "ghost" your old one to the new using something like http://clonezilla.org/ although, this might cause problems if you're on windows 10. Not sure if that locks you to the devices hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

you'd want to check the BIOS would support it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

me_irl wrote: »
    The new drive will have to have an operating system.

You can "ghost" your old one to the new using something like http://clonezilla.org/ although, this might cause problems if you're on windows 10. Not sure if that locks you to the devices hardware.

I'm still on Windows 7 so hopefully that won't be an issue but I'll check it out. Thanks for your help :)
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    you'd want to check the BIOS would support it

Never thought of that! I'll have a look, thank you so much I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I'm a big fan of CloneZilla, use it every day and it's incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Large capacity hard disks in a laptop are simply a disaster waiting to happen. Have you a way to back up that amount of data ? One knock while the drive is accessing and it could be all gone.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have a DVD that's easily removable then you could replace that with another Hard Drive Bay and have two drives in the laptop. Also makes cloning the drive easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

ZENER wrote: »
    Large capacity hard disks in a laptop are simply a disaster waiting to happen. Have you a way to back up that amount of data ? One knock while the drive is accessing and it could be all gone.

Ken

I do regular backups and so I'm in little danger of losing anything critical. Also I'm keeping the old 500GB so I have a backup of the operating system etc.
    If you have a DVD that's easily removable then you could replace that with another Hard Drive Bay and have two drives in the laptop. Also makes cloning the drive easier.

I didn't know the DVD drive could be converted to a harddrive bay, that's cool! Although I do use DVDs on occasion so I'll probably leave it alone for now.

I managed to clone the drive in the end with software called AOMEI Backupper (free online) and it worked a treat. No issues so far and I have a nice 1.5TB partition setup for movies and tv shows :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kingtut wrote: »
    I do regular backups and so I'm in little danger of losing anything critical. Also I'm keeping the old 500GB so I have a backup of the operating system etc.

I didn't know the DVD drive could be converted to a harddrive bay, that's cool! Although I do use DVDs on occasion so I'll probably leave it alone for now.

I managed to clone the drive in the end with software called AOMEI Backupper (free online) and it worked a treat. No issues so far and I have a nice 1.5TB partition setup for movies and tv shows :)

It's not possible to replace the DVD drives on all laptops, it depends on the machine. But if it is possible, you could buy a cheap SSD (they're cheap anyway), and use that as your boot disk and put your 2TB disk in the DVD slot and have the best of both worlds.

Advertisement