Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arran Quay busstop to go - Finally some sense!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's somewhat baffling to see an Apology being profferred there....What on Earth is there to apologise for ?
    In my opinion,any operator announcing this particular move should be loudly trumpeting a highly positive victory for Common Sense,Public & Customer Safety.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3459052,-6.2760908,160a,20y,25.82h/data=!3m1!1e3

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It's somewhat baffling to see an Apology being profferred there....What on Earth is there to apologise for ?
    In my opinion,any operator announcing this particular move should be loudly trumpeting a highly positive victory for Common Sense,Public & Customer Safety.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3459052,-6.2760908,160a,20y,25.82h/data=!3m1!1e3

That would involve admitting it should never have been positioned there or taken so long to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Brilliant best transport news I've heard in months .. is there a linky anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sorry, when I edited the OP on the boards.ie apk the link I originally posted disappeared.

I've put it back in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Can I ask what the problem is with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

I
    Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Can I ask what the problem is with it.

Serves far too may routes, leaves buses going straight in a left turn only lane, has a loading bay at exit, has no run in entry and get straight space, intending passengers can't see bus approach nor can driver see passengers, is far to close to junction, involves buses crossing cycle lane is that enough to start with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Agreed. Pain for cyclist, pain for buses getting into , pain for buses getting out of, huge obstruction to turning onto church st ,endless list of "NO"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For those unfamiliar, there are three lanes here, a left hand turn onto Church Street, a bus lane in the centre, and a traffic lane heading straight on. But the bus stop is in the left hand turn lane. This makes taking the left turn onto Church Street a quite hazardous affair if there is a bus at the stop, never mind if there's also one in the bus lane. (Taking the left turn can also get you funny looks from bus drivers and cyclists unaware that the only way to enter the left turn lane is to cross the bus lane).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I wonder if they will reclaim this extra space for a small pedestrian plaza or what the plan is for it. The junctions at both north and south quays beside that bridge are dangerously narrow and are not able to accommodate the amount of footfall they get, especially the islands on the south junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

AngryLips wrote: »
    I wonder if they will reclaim this extra space for a small pedestrian plaza or what the plan is for it. The junctions at both north and south quays beside that bridge are dangerously narrow and are not able to accommodate the amount of footfall they get, especially the islands on the south junction.

There is still a tour bus stop (City Sightseeing) at that location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So I was at the bus stop on the opposite side of the river today and there was a scrolling notice about this bus stop closure on the real time screen ...but the message said closed until further notice

Does that mean this bus stop might be coming back at a later date?

AngryLips wrote: »
    So I was at the bus stop on the opposite side of the river today and there was a scrolling notice about this bus stop closure on the real time screen ...but the message said closed until further notice

Does that mean this bus stop might be coming back at a later date?

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It really made a difference to my journey this morning as we didn't have to suffer getting stuck on the inside of left turning traffic waiting for the filter signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Seems not all drivers have been informed about the closure of stop 1477 :(

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Habits of many years can sometimes take a little extra time to change....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ben D Bus wrote: »

Funny, half of them used to ignore that stop when it was in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

thomasj wrote:
    How it lasted so long is beyond me, but at last it will no longer be in use from 22nd May 2016.

Its still being used...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its still being used...

It shouldn't be. Its out of order since over a week ago.

thomasj wrote: »
    It shouldn't be. Its out of order since over a week ago.

Indeed it shouldn't, but a bit like the first stop inbound in Aungier Street which is no longer a 16 stop, some drivers can occasionally still stop there out of sheer habit.

As I said above. Old habits can die hard.

Advertisement