Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Physics vs Mechanical Engineering for aero industry

Options
  • 11-05-2016 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi.
    1) What do you think - which course is better to choose as one would like to work in aero industry after graduation? Is it necessary to go for Masters after BSc in Physics to get a decent job? I'm really stuck deciding which path to pick. Do you agree that huge part of ME course requires you to cram rather than conclude using logical thinking? (I'm currently in the 1st year of ME and sadly it's how it looks. Outside of the state - I'm not Irish) I would really like to know where forumlae came from. I don't wanna remember them, I wanna reason them. Do you think I should stick to ME or go for Applied Physics? Ofc, you will not decide my fate, but it'll be good to have some more opinions.

2) Could you provide some sample problem sets (assignments) from (Applied Physics)/ME at DCU? Would like to know what's the level of maths (is it calc or non-calc based?). Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why not look into doing an aeronautical or aerospace degree instead of either of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asfdsaaa

Yeah, I guess it would the best option, but unfortunately I'm limited to Dublin. Do you think Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering differ much?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 asfdsaaa

Yeah, I guess it would be the best option, but unfortunately I'm limited to Dublin. Do you think Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering differ much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The course modules for each course are below, look at the course structure section.

http://www3.ul.ie/courses/AeronauticalEngineering.php
    http://www3.ul.ie/courses/MechanicalEngineering.php

As you can see 1st is the same for both but then they start to branch out from 2nd year to where by 4th year you're studying different stuff completely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

asfdsaaa wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess it would be the best option, but unfortunately I'm limited to Dublin. Do you think Aeronautical and Mechanical Engineering differ much?

The course content would differ. I know Mechanical Engineers working in the aeronautical industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement