Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless about travel

Options
  • 11-05-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First off apologies for me ranting off in advance!!

I'm 25, in a dead end job on minimum wage, doing my 40hr a week, boozing it up the weekend and repeat the next week. I'm absolutely sick of it.

I was thinking of heading off somewhere end of this year/ start of 2017.

I've only recently started saving money! I usually spend-as-I-get, bad idea but I'm completely debt free, have a nice car , still living at home and on the outside everything seems great but I'm bored with everything and want a change.

I've never done any j1/Ibiza etc with friends, Spain for a week or two has been the most experience abroad.

I'm clueless about travel, where I want to go, the costs involved, what I will need, where to go etc, what I do know is that I'm sick of sitting around waiting on something to happen, I need a kick up the hole and get some life experience :)

Any advice would be very appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Do you prefer cities (museums, cafès), or nature/sports/adventure ?
    Lots of options in Europe for both (even in the UK, if you want to start close by)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yea, so many options on the continent that its hard to know where to start.
    On a budget eastern europe is the cheapest for travel and accomodation. If youre happy with larger dorm hostel rooms you can get a roof over the head for between 10 to 20euro a night. Intercity trains or busses then for similar prices to what you have in ireland, if not a little cheaper.
    Western europe is dearer in the summer for accomodation and trains can be dear all year round, but book well in advance and theres bargains to be had. Accomodation is also cheaper outside of the main summer peak when the continent is full of yanks and aussies on their european tour, but then the weather isnt as good (but maybe a good thing if you dont like 30degrees+)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you want life experience, would you consider giving up work for a year and travelling around the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'll make a suggestion here, book a flight! Someone like yourself who always spends as they earn always find it hardest to set off. What's your budget, if your doing solo travel I highly recommend a few months around Asia/South East Asia. Extremely cheap and very easy to navigate, employment opportunities (teaching english) should you want to earn a bit while you travel. The best thing about Asia is you will meet tonnes of people who are undertaking a similar journey.

In terms of budget, you can get a one way flight to Bangkok for 350 euro sometimes even a return for similar on the likes of secret flying. Accommodation in hostels in Asia is between 5-10 euro a night and food is similar per day.

If you do a few months and want to experience a new country you could bounce to NZ or Australia for a few months/years to build up funds to do more travelling.

Most important thing in my opinion is booking the flight, makes it more real and gives you a goal/date to aim for. Best of luck, you wont regret doing it

Advertisement