Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo travel - ideas for somewhere in Europe to travel in June

Options
  • 11-05-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some suggestions on good cities to visit in Europe for a 27 year old female travelling alone? (That would be safe, a chance to meet new people)
    Would it be weird travelling alone? I want to experience what it is like. I have one week so I am sure I can survive!

I really want to see Venice in Italy but not sure if it would be a good place to travel on my lonesome. Other ideas are Berlin, Seville, Barcelona. I wouldn't mind spending the first few days somewhere and then flying a short distance to another city.

All ideas welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Berlin, Barcelona are all great spots.

If you are travelling in that week of June there is a mighty (and little known) festival in Porto, this could be combined with Lisbon, for instance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_de_S%C3%A3o_Jo%C3%A3o_do_Porto

June is the time of the longest days, so someplace like Stockholm would be bright nearly all the time and there is a always a holiday atmosphere in Scandinavia at that time of year.

There is a no problem travelling alone, meeting people has other challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

One of my work colleagues just booked a 4 day trip to the Amalfi coast using Italy on a Budget Tours. Here's the link. I never even knew that this kind of thing was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭vicky7833

Berlin, Barcelona are all great spots.

If you are travelling in that week of June there is a mighty (and little known) festival in Porto, this could be combined with Lisbon, for instance.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festa_de_S%C3%A3o_Jo%C3%A3o_do_Porto

June is the time of the longest days, so someplace like Stockholm would be bright nearly all the time and there is a always a holiday atmosphere in Scandinavia at that time of year.

There is a no problem travelling alone, meeting people has other challenges.

Thanks for your reply, I checked out the festival and it looks cool! I will be home again at that time sadly :(

I will look into some of your other suggestions and see what works :)

dudara wrote: »
    One of my work colleagues just booked a 4 day trip to the Amalfi coast using Italy on a Budget Tours. Here's the link. I never even knew that this kind of thing was possible.

Thanks a lot for that link! It sounds really cool :) I am a bit unsure of a tour though where everything is planned out for me as I am looking forward to being on a trip where I decide what I want to do on my own and it could take the enjoyment out of that ;) .. That would be amazing if I had a bit more time and definitely going to keep it in mind for again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I went to Vigo in Spain alone (female in my 30s) last July and had a great time. Had so much fun that I went back last month with friends and we had a blast. Ryanair have started flying direct from Dublin a few weeks ago so it's a lot easier and cheaper to get there now.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    I went to Vigo in Spain alone (female in my 30s) last July and had a great time. Had so much fun that I went back last month with friends and we had a blast. Ryanair have started flying direct from Dublin a few weeks ago so it's a lot easier and cheaper to get there now.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I actually never heard of that place but checked out flights and they are very reasonable! Glad to hear you had a great experience, would definitely be nice to visit somewhere that has a good chance of sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Copenhagen also, was there last year in June and there was a great atmosphere, pavement cafès, boat tours ...

Another great suggestion thanks :) Flights to Copenhagen are also very reasonable! What is the nightlife like? Good chance of meeting people in hostels etc whilst over there or where would you recommend staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Didn't experience hostels personally; everyone there is fluent is English, which makes meeting new people easier. The canal area with pavement restaurants and a lot of bars is called Nyhavn.

I am actually thinking of flying into Milan, then Verona, followed by coming home from Venice.

Any one recommend? Or is this a place that I should wait and take my boyfriend with me :)

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »

Hello,

I finally booked a trip to Vigo this year.

Any recommendations on must see places? Things to do? Accommodation?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement