Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get travel insurance for trips to the continent?

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We're getting the ferry to France again as usual in June. We have purchased travel insurance every year, but we're wondering if there really is a point.....
    • We have the flexi fare with Stena, which is excellent in terms of rearranging your trip at the last minute if necessary
    • The insurance from Dolmen covers breakdown and repatriation of the camper in event of breakdown
    • We have the European Health Insurance Card (old E111) for medical needs.

Can anyone think what a travel insurance policy would give me that I'm not already covered for? Have any of you claimed on a policy when on a campervan holiday?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

kelbal wrote: »
    [*]The insurance from Dolmen covers breakdown and repatriation of the camper in event of breakdown

Wrong, they cover the cost of towing to any location including repatriation up to a maximum of €500 per incident... so if you're not planning on going on any motorways or going more than a 50km from the ferry that might cover you.

It doesn't cover you for being towed off the motorway in France which is a fixed fee of I believe €150 to be towed up to 5km from the motorway exit only unless you want to go to the tow trucks garage and bend over:
    http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/breakdown-service.htm

Remember you'll be paying the tow truck for the return journey so it can get expensive someone was on here broke down in Limoges and was quoted €3500 to be towed to Roscoff.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85194576&postcount=33

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Have Dolmen.

Was broken down in a campsite near La Fresneda, southeast of Zaragoza last summer- at the height of the heat wave- and they sent a tow truck to bring me to the town of Alcaniz, about 28km, to a garage which had sourced the part for me.

must say that the garage were the most helpful you could imagine.

The biggest problem was dealing with the guy in UK who handle the breakdowns, a lot of airtime trying to get him to understand the situation, Eventually rang Dolmen direct in Dublin and explained the situation and had it sorted out.

Nonetheless given what Crabbypaddy says above I'll have another look before heading out this year. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It all depends how risk adverse you are. We always do, few years ago my wife took ill when we were away and was in hospital for a week.
    It was great to have private care taken care off.

Advertisement