Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No full licence driver

Options
  • 11-05-2016 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Anyone in ireland got caught driving without full licence driver ? Wats the story with them takin u to court n wats d outcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/l-plate-drivers-thousands-fined-for-going-solo-228374.html

Figures released by the Courts Service show 3,272 L-plate motorists were issued summonses for driving unaccompanied

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jamesy343

That was in 2013 n I've read that thanks. Surely it has changed I hope

Why would it change? There's myths going around that your insurance is invalid if you're driving unaccompanied, that's not true, but the Gardaí can and do still prosecute people.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

I think will depend on the Garda that stops you I know some one who had the car taken off them at the side of the road. someone else who got a caution and told to put the L plates and their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I found other drivers treated me better when my L-plates were off. For a couple weeks before the test (that I passed) I drove alone with the plates off (I had no qualified driver available).

I was old enough that I wasn't going to be pulled over for looking too young driving though I realise it was a little reckless with respect to insurance etc. That being said, IMO it was far safer to drive with L-plates off. I had people over taking me on blind corners, doing dangers speeds/distances behind me etc when I had them up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I found other drivers treated me better when my L-plates were off. For a couple weeks before the test (that I passed) I drove alone with the plates off (I had no qualified driver available).

I was old enough that I wasn't going to be pulled over for looking too young driving though I realise it was a little reckless with respect to insurance etc. That being said, IMO it was far safer to drive with L-plates off. I had people over taking me on blind corners, doing dangers speeds/distances behind me etc when I had them up.

Very irresponsible and careless. Depending on the policy, you could have had serious issues with insurance + being done for no fully licensed driver or L plates. Condoning such behaviour is not a good idea also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Why would it change? There's myths going around that your insurance is invalid if you're driving unaccompanied, that's not true, but the Gardaí can and do still prosecute people.

It depends on the terms of your insurance, and the forbearance of your insurance company. I am unaware of any policies that explicitly cover unaccompanied learner drivers. Even though I was and am a fully licensed driver in the US with a 30-year safety record, not all insurance companies would even agree to cover me as a provisional license holder in Ireland at all. I did manage to get full no-claims bonus on the policy I wound up getting, though, which was nice. :) The representative was careful to inform me (verbally) that my coverage was contingent on following the law as regards having an accompanying driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I was driving accompanied yesterday, in the mad rain, very wet roads. The amount of full licensed drivers that used a bus lane to undertake me while I was not delaying progress on the road with consideration to the conditions and over took me on solid white lines was amazing.

The only thing that would have changed that, is if I didn't have the L plates on.

Very irresponsible and careless. Depending on the policy, you could have had serious issues with insurance + being done for no fully licensed driver or L plates. Condoning such behaviour is not a good idea also.

I made a judgement that I was more likely to get into an accident (caused by someone else mostly likely) if I left the plates up. Honestly, around the backroads of kildare where I had to drive to Naas for practicing the test route, drivers were lethally dangerous.

I know I would have had problems with insurance either way, but as I was driving unaccompanied anyway (parents had left the country for work, knew no one else available) I had no "choice". I needed my full licence ASAP to be able to look after my sister.

Shame there isn't a cheap rent-an-adult service for situations like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Regarding comment earlier by Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Aviva Insurance states; Furthermore, both the learner driver and the policyholder should be aware that the learner driver will not be insured when driving unaccompanied.

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/driving-school/pricesandbooking/

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they refer to the unaccompanied learner driver making a claim on their own policy. They still have to pay out any third party claims in accordance with the RTA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd imagine they refer to the unaccompanied learner driver making a claim on their own policy. They still have to pay out any third party claims in accordance with the RTA.

And can recoup any costs incurred from the insured. Meaning that Axa will then proceed to sue for the cost of those third party claims.
    I made a judgement that I was more likely to get into an accident (caused by someone else mostly likely) if I left the plates up. Honestly, around the backroads of kildare where I had to drive to Naas for practicing the test route, drivers were lethally dangerous.

I know I would have had problems with insurance either way, but as I was driving unaccompanied anyway (parents had left the country for work, knew no one else available) I had no "choice". I needed my full licence ASAP to be able to look after my sister.

Shame there isn't a cheap rent-an-adult service for situations like this.

You had a choice. To say otherwise is just not true.

Whatever about your own error of judgement, you should not be encouraging others to do the same as yourself. Especially when you know of the implications from the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

Third party is always covered.

Technically an insurance company can sue anyone to recover damages. That could include drink drivers, speeders, learners unaccompanied, people who caused accidents while using the phone etc.

However I have never heard of a single case of a learner being sued for not being accompanied. If anyone has evidence of this it would be great to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

constantly see here learner drivers complaining that if they drive around with L plates visible, they get treated with less respect on the roads by other drivers and that other drivers behave irresponsibly towards them so they leave the L plates off. I find it hard to accept that tbh. I've driven around for the last 6 years almost continuously with L plates as my kids learn to drive. I have to say I've never seen that type of behaviour and the opposite being true in most cases - drivers giving that little bit of extra room on hills starts, being patient at lights, etc. I can't be the only one who finds this surely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

constantly see here learner drivers complaining that if they drive around with L plates visible, they get treated with less respect on the roads by other drivers and that other drivers behave irresponsibly towards them so they leave the L plates off. I find it hard to accept that tbh. I've driven around for the last 6 years almost continuously with L plates as my kids learn to drive. I have to say I've never seen that type of behaviour and the opposite being true in most cases - drivers giving that little bit of extra room on hills starts, being patient at lights, etc. I can't be the only one who finds this surely.

Every time i'm out it happens. My comment earlier was to show how ridiculous it is even in bad weather conditions.

Once out on a lesson a car overtook me, to turn left right in front of me while I was going straight.

You must be driving in a very polite area of the country because I promise you on the backroads out to Naas, with plates up you can take your life into your own hands. This was about 4 years ago if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Same, I have come across an abundance of people giving way to me, most likely because of my L plates.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

It's definitely a mixed bag. But that's driving in general. You will always come across gombeens when driving. It's almost good practise to learn to handle such situations. No excuse to take down L plates however, and that's not an excuse that a gard will care for.

VonVix wrote: »
    Same, I have come across an abundance of people giving way to me, most likely because of my L plates.

I'm very glad you have had this experience, but I'm not the only one who has had the opposite. whenever I'm driving now, I try and give the utmost respect/gap to learner drivers mostly because they are unpredictable and I value the vehicle/insurance I'm driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm very glad you have had this experience, but I'm not the only one who has had the opposite. whenever I'm driving now, I try and give the utmost respect/gap to learner drivers mostly because they are unpredictable and I value the vehicle/insurance I'm driving.

It is because of the way I was treated as a learner (I must have come across every ignorant buffoon in the city), that I treat learners with respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My boyfriend is learning to drive at the moment. He was out in my car today (supervised!) with the L plates up. Overtook a bus as it was pulled up at a bus stop. As he was overtaking the bus another car overtook HIM! :eek: So basically this other car was overtaking my boyfriend while he was overtaking the bus. On a fairly narrow road. Couldn't believe it.

I got a bit of hassle when I started out driving. Mostly cars beeping at me if I took too long to turn at a junction. Or if I didn't go the second the lights turn green. Some drivers expect you to go before the lights turn green. Also had the dangerous overtaking happen to me a few times. My Mother had the L plates on her car for a while when my brother was learning to drive and used to get a lot of beeps. Some people treat learners so badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No matter what people feel about driving unaccompanied., its illegal to do so and it invalidates your insurance as you are not on the road legally.

I've seen my fair share of learners pulled in by the traffic corp. I just wish there were more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

as an add on to my earlier post that I find drivers giving respect to L drivers - I got the car washed at the weekend and hadn't put the L plates back up. saw 2 of the most dangerous things I've seen in a long time today. first one agressive driver undertook me in the bus lane on a 50km road as I was doing the limit. second one out the country coming into a village, solid white line bend and approaching a junction and car overtakes me. Just proves - L plates or no L plates, there are some drivers out there who don't value their own lives not to mind anyone elses on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

No matter what people feel about driving unaccompanied., its illegal to do so and it invalidates your insurance as you are not on the road legally.

I've seen my fair share of learners pulled in by the traffic corp. I just wish there were more of them.

I'm not so sure about this. As other posters have said, insurance company's can't really shirk their responsibilities here. When you think about it, almost all traffic accidents are caused by someone committing an offence, whether intentionally or otherwise. Just because someone is commits a road traffic offence isn't a get out of jail free card for the insurance companies. Say somebody ran a stop sign, and collided with a vehicle that had right of way (a common enough occurrence). Can the insurance company then say the driver is not covered because he committed an offence? Bear in mind that running a stop sign and not being accompanied are legally of the same severity i.e. €80 fine and 3 penalty points.

Rothmans wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about this. As other posters have said, insurance company's can't really shirk their responsibilities here. When you think about it, almost all traffic accidents are caused by someone committing an offence, whether intentionally or otherwise. Just because someone is commits a road traffic offence isn't a get out of jail free card for the insurance companies. Say somebody ran a stop sign, and collided with a vehicle that had right of way (a common enough occurrence). Can the insurance company then say the driver is not covered because he committed an offence? Bear in mind that running a stop sign and not being accompanied are legally of the same severity i.e. €80 fine and 3 penalty points.

In your scenario, we aren't assuming it was the learner that ran the stop sign right?

In your scenario, we aren't assuming it was the learner that ran the stop sign right?

Nope, a fully licenced driver. Or even an accompanied learner.

EDIT: Driving unaccompanied is in fact only 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Out of curiosity (and I know it's a little bit off topic), but would it be the same story with insurance for N plates? Ie. If you weren't displaying your N plates at the time of an accident would your insurance be void as it would for no L plates?

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Out of curiosity (and I know it's a little bit off topic), but would it be the same story with insurance for N plates? Ie. If you weren't displaying your N plates at the time of an accident would your insurance be void as it would for no L plates?

No. And your insurance wouldn't be void for a lack of L Plates either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What's changed is that the guards can now issue Fix Penalties. In the past a guard was unlikely to waste time bringing you to court unless you managed to annoy him/her. Now you'll get a FPN, points and higher insurance come renewal. Coupled with the six point limit it's frankly just not worth it anymore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement