Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and a 'mystery illness'

Options
  • 11-05-2016 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've recently had to hand in my notice at my job. (sidenote, I hated having to do that, loved my job) Basically I have been having these 'seizures/fainting spells' for the past year or so. It has really affected my working life. I've had to take time off, been late to work, been making errors due to me being 'out of it' while at work after some of these spells.

I also believe that my work was the a contributing factor in these spells happening. I work a very stressful job, with a lot of pressure and they come down on you like a ton of bricks if you make a slight error. I always had more (around 4 a week) of these spells when work was very stressful and less (maybe 1 or 2) when work is quiet or if I have some time off.

I have been to a thousand doctors and they can't tell me what's wrong, my question is, how likely would it be that I be awarded DA for an undiagnosed illness.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I don't think anyone on here can give you an answer .
    But having been through the over 12 months + process to get awarded DA with several degenerative medical conditions, it's not easy to get and it can be stressful too .
    a lot of people do get turned down and then have to go through an appeal or several .
    Your best bet is talking to gp first and see what they say first and get the application process started .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

As said above you're better off trying to get a diagnosis first. Your gp will have to fill in a form stating all the reasons you need DA and having consultant reports does help.... it's a hard benefit to get because you have to be genuinely unable to work and unfortunately everyone seems to want to apply for it so they are hugely busy.

Apart from the DA side of things having a diagnosis will help you get treatment which is most important.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement