Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Rising personality question

Options
  • 10-05-2016 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

Doing some research into the personalities of 1916 and one person I am having confusion with Michael O' Hanrahan. I was under the impression that at Jacob's Factory Thomas McDonagh's second and third in command were Major John MacBride and Maude Gonne.

Now I am basing this on early readings which don't give any reference to O' Hanrahan's role. While I do believe he served there. Exactly how prominent was he at the Rebel Garrison?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Niamhmg

Well he was in 2nd command under mcdonagh in the rising,and yep at Jacobs biscuit factory. The factory had little action in the week apart from some general sniping so it wasn't ever as intense as other areas. However what he is known for is finding out, not sure how, that the British were planning to bomb the factory with shells and also the surrounding high populated area. He then told mcdonagh about the rumour and mcdonagh led a breakout saving the local population as the British then didn't use as much artillery knowing they weren't occupying as much or any of the factory. He also helped lead the battalion out in the war like scene which wasn't easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Niamhmg wrote: »
    Well he was in 2nd command under mcdonagh in the rising,and yep at Jacobs biscuit factory. The factory had little action in the week apart from some general sniping so it wasn't ever as intense as other areas. However what he is known for is finding out, not sure how, that the British were planning to bomb the factory with shells and also the surrounding high populated area. He then told mcdonagh about the rumour and mcdonagh led a breakout saving the local population as the British then didn't use as much artillery knowing they weren't occupying as much or any of the factory. He also helped lead the battalion out in the war like scene which wasn't easy

Thanks. It seems he played a larger part than I reckoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 History buff

It's me haha just made a new account.. For my history stuff lol. Yeah he sure did all the lesser known ones did.

Advertisement