Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra time in rugby rule

Options
  • 10-05-2016 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭

Question concerning Rugby. When the half time or full time is reached does the game continue on until the ball is dead or is the referee the person who decides how much time can be allotted.

Confusion over this. They let the game continue until play comes to an end yet in some situations the ref arbitrarily chooses to keep the game going and going with no indication of when the match is over. I have seen this happen on a number of occasions.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There's no added time in rugby like in football. The clock stops during the match when the referee calls time off, so when the clock reaches 80 you know the match will end at the next phase (usually).

If the defending team gives away a penalty the referee will play on even if the 80 minutes are up, otherwise teams would be able to deliberately infringe to end the match.

Basically, once the clock hits 80 the game stops when any of the following happen:

1. The ball is kicked off the field by anyone
    2. Anyone knocks the ball on
    3. A forward pass happens
    4. Anyone scores a try (a conversion is allowed to be taken) or a drop goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I presume you mean extra time as in akin to soccers time added on for injuries. Well, the 80 minutes is 80 minutes of play. A game will only end when the ball is made dead and this is done by scoring a try or when the ball goes out of play or when players make a minor infringement that results in a scrum restart; knock on's or grounding the ball in goal for instance.

The referee controls playing time on his/her watch and will stop it for injuries, to discipline players and for other game management issues. The other match officials, on and off field, time the game as well and follow suit; if you watch TV games you will hear a referee say "time on" and "time off" when play stops to alert them to same. TV companies also need the time cues so the referee calls give them something to go by.

Any other questions, just shout :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »
    There's no added time in rugby like in football. The clock stops during the match when the referee calls time off, so when the clock reaches 80 you know the match will end at the next phase (usually).

If the attacking team gives away a penalty the defending team still has to kick the ball out of play from the resulting penalty I think.

This makes less sense since awec bloody edited his post. Can't trust you Northern folk.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If the attacking team gives away a penalty the defending team still has to kick the ball out of play from the resulting penalty I think.

Yep you're right, I edited my post. Dunno why I thought otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Also in super rugby (but I think likely to become worldwide) you can no longer end a game by kicking out on the full with a penalty (in other words you can take the line out). If you don't want the line out then you have to tap to yourself then kick it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You'll be sorry you edited your post :D:p

1. The ball is kicked off the field by anyone
    2. Anyone knocks the ball on

1) A kick at goal cannot be kicked out of play deliberately. If this happens then the game is restarted with a scrum from the mark.
    2) To deliberately knock forward a ball or to deliberately throw it forward is a penalty offence.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Thanks for the clarification guys.:)

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Also in super rugby (but I think likely to become worldwide) you can no longer end a game by kicking out on the full with a penalty (in other words you can take the line out). If you don't want the line out then you have to tap to yourself then kick it out.

Didn't realise that. Gotta say I quite like the frenetic tap and go action you get towards the end of a game, but I guess it makes a lot of sense for a team to illegally slow the ball down if they have the oppo stuck in their half with time gone as a penalty doesn't really cost them anything.

Didn't realise that. Gotta say I quite like the frenetic tap and go action you get towards the end of a game, but I guess it makes a lot of sense for a team to illegally slow the ball down if they have the oppo stuck in their half with time gone as a penalty doesn't really cost them anything.

Yes I seem to remember one such frenetic finish where a team got a penalty in their own half with time up and after multiple phases ended up scoring the winning try in the left hand corner :p

Yes I seem to remember one such frenetic finish where a team got a penalty in their own half with time up and after multiple phases ended up scoring the winning try in the left hand corner :p

While I have no idea to what you are referring, hypothetically I'm not sure why a team in that position wouldn't have, given the laws in place, slowed the ****ing ball down a bit more illegally when the oppo was still in their own half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hey. Hey you. Hey.

Shut up.

Hope it does come worldwide, it doesn't really make sense to limit the options of a team at that stage.

Hope it does come worldwide, it doesn't really make sense to limit the options of a team at that stage.

It's one of the trial laws. The other one that has proved very popular is no longer allowing the defensive 9 to get between the opposition attacking 8 and 9 at the scrum. Much better for 1st phase attack. Expect that law to get the official sanction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Yes it's more consistent i.e. a team can call for a scrum as a result of getting a penalty but under present laws they cannot have a line out. This would change and rightly so if trial law is implemented.

It's one of the trial laws. The other one that has proved very popular is no longer allowing the defensive 9 to get between the opposition attacking 8 and 9 at the scrum. Much better for 1st phase attack. Expect that law to get the official sanction too.

For the scrum half to get between the oppo 8 and 9 at the scrum in theory the ball would have to be behind the number 8 and thus out of the scrum anyway no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

There seems be a lot of ifs and thens, buts and general lack of understanding in the responses here...

The law says:
    "If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue."

Simpler:
    1. after 80 minutes are up, the game ends next time someone kicks it out, scores or breaks a very minor rule (Like knocking it on).

2. If someone breaks a bigger rule you have to keep playing until #1 happens.

3. If the ball leaves play and then the time runs out, you have to restart play, until #1 or 2 happens.

For the scrum half to get between the oppo 8 and 9 at the scrum in theory the ball would have to be behind the number 8 and thus out of the scrum anyway no?

Hmmm. Yes, you're right. THIS is the actual law being trialled

The scrumhalf of the team not winning a scrum is not allowed to step into the gap between the flank and the lock or No 8, and the ball will remain his offside line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

NiallBoo wrote: »
    There seems be a lot of ifs and thens, buts and general lack of understanding in the responses here...

The law says:
    "If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue."

Simpler:
    1. after 80 minutes are up, the game ends next time someone kicks it out, scores or breaks a very minor rule (Like knocking it on).

2. If someone breaks a bigger rule you have to keep playing until #1 happens.

3. If the ball leaves play and they the time runs out, you have to restart play, until #1 or 2 happens.

Hold on why would you need to restart once the ball leaves play surely the game is over at that point.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Hold on why would you need to restart once the ball leaves play surely the game is over at that point.

The game is ended by the act of the ball going dead after the time is up.

If the ball goes dead followed by the time running out, this act hasn't happened.

- I don't really know the reason behind for certain it but I suppose this prevents a bit of messing about when a team is winning and wants to time-waste. It also means a bit more nail biting at the end, which is always a good thing.

Note: it's a rule that isn't always enforced, especially at half-time, but if there's something to be gained from a team getting another score then it will.

Yep the time is taken at the point the ball crosses the line. For example this season Munster miscalculated the time on the clock and kicked the ball out a few seconds too early and the opposition got to take their lineout.

• Advertisement

Yep the time is taken at the point the ball crosses the line. For example this season Munster miscalculated the time on the clock and kicked the ball out a few seconds too early and the opposition got to take their lineout.

Even more entertaining...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The scrumhalf of the team not winning a scrum is not allowed to step into the gap between the flank and the lock or No 8, and the ball will remain his offside line.

Yes, that's "the pocket" that they refer to.

Excellent law to allow clean first phase ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's called the pocket but in truth this has always supposed to be defended by the flanker through effective body position. Maybe something some people didn't realise was going on but it dimishes the skill required to be an effective scrummager in the back row so I'm not a massive fan, but maybe that's just purism. Not sure that it'll be more widely adapted.

Advertisement