Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Transport Etiquette

Options
  • 10-05-2016 12:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

I don't like people who put bags on the seat beside them especially when the bus/train is close to capacity. Some don't even bother with the bag thing, they just sit on the outside seat.

The sense of entitlement is astonishing, even when the bus/train is full if someone dares them to move their bag they look at you like you just denied them the right to vote.

These are usually the same type of people who won't offer their seat to older people or pregnant woman.

They are just people who are not meant for society, they should be rounded up and set free to procreate and eat berries in some wooded area where no doubt they'll be shoving birds and squirrels out of trees but heh-ho, not my problem anymore,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BAGS ARE PEOPLE TOO YOU KNOW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

People who speak loudly.

Actually just people who speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

School kids putting their feet up on seats in front of them! Annoying little gits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lurkio

donvito99 wrote: »
    People who speak loudly.

Actually just people who speak.

People. If they are people, some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

donfers wrote: »
    I don't like people who put bags on the seat beside them especially when the bus/train is close to capacity. Some don't even bother with the bag thing, they just sit on the outside seat.

The sense of entitlement is astonishing, even when the bus/train is full if someone dares them to move their bag they look at you like you just denied them the right to vote.

These are usually the same type of people who won't offer their seat to older people or pregnant woman.

They are just people who are not meant for society, they should be rounded up and set free to procreate and eat berries in some wooded area where no doubt they'll be shoving birds and squirrels out of trees but heh-ho, not my problem anymore,

Interesting perspective you have there on other people's sense of entitlement, completely ignoring your own of course.

• Advertisement

If they put the bag down on the seat and sit opposite you, whip out your lad. If people are going to make themselves comfortable you might as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

You travel on public transport?

Just do like I do and travel in chauffeur driven comfort.
    I have blacked out windows as well so I don't have to look at the rest of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

If only there was a dedicated thread for small things like this that annoy you!

cml387 wrote: »
    You travel on public transport?

Just do like I do and travel in chauffeur driven comfort.
    I have blacked out windows as well so I don't have to look at the rest of you.

Back when one could travel by coach one could always get the coachman to whip the locals as one passed through some of the less savoury areas. Enlivened the journey immensely and gave the urchins a reminder of the advantages of bettering oneself.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

People who share their music at the back of the bus.

So glad I have my own car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Well you could of course just ask them to move the bag. As for the outside seat thing, its pretty easy to just ask them to let you in to the window seat. Hardly their fault that nobody will do such a simple little thing.

Feet on seats on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Earphones in and looking out the window, just hoping you won't ask them to move. I wonder what happened to them to make them so antisocial that they don't even want someone sitting next to them.

Or when 2 friends take up a seat each when the bus is empty but don't move when the bus is getting busy. I remember seeing 2 people chatting to each other across the aisle. Both had window seats in the same row. I noticed the bus getting busier and watched them to see what would happen. Sure enough, people sat on the aisle seats. They stopped talking for a few seconds and then the bloke started talking again across 2 people to the girl. It was quite surreal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    People who share their music at the back of the bus.

So glad I have my own car.

Oh, I have my own car too but get the bus into town for work. Would take double the time to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Seen a bloke on a bus tap the shoulder of the lady in front of him one evening, "excuse me" he said. "You have semen on the back of your jacket luv" he said.

Young lady rolled her eyes to heaven, tutted, avg said "pffft.. it's probably yoghurt or something, but it's definitely not semen"

Bloke replied, "na, it's definitely semen luv". "I don't ejaculate yoghurt". :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People who eat apples on public transport. It actually fills me with irrational rage. I can't help myself. It's just like a nervous tic. I can't bare it. I always have to stop myself from saying something. The worst is when they take long slow bites and chew it about 30 times before they swallow it. I pray in my head for them to choke on it.

People who sit on outside seats with bags on the inside seats, pretending they can't see you/are asleep at stops. I get a bit clausterphobic on the inside of a seat, but I'll be willing to make myself a bit nervous/uncomfortable for the sake of an hour, just to inconvenience someone into moving their crap.

Old ladies who think that by placing their coffin dodger trolley in the free seat next to them, it means nobody will sit there. Recently enough I asked one to move it and she said someone was sitting there and was gone to the toilet. There was no more seats so I waited and when everyone was gone she got up and went to the toilet herself. Then when she came back I came and sat next to her and told her I'd move when her friend came back. Her friend never came back and she kept making comments about how I spent all the journey on my phone. Asking me was I on the Facebook.

People who act surprised they've to pay a fare on the bus and hold everyone up while they Rifle through their bag for coins.

Public transport has definitely made me hate people more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

People who eat apples on public transport. It actually fills me with irrational rage. I can't help myself. It's just like a nervous tic. I can't bare it. I always have to stop myself from saying something. The worst is when they take long slow bites and chew it about 30 times before they swallow it. I pray in my head for them to choke on it.

Worse than Hitler, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

wheres UCDVet when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

People who take out your earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Things like this annoyed me so much I started changing my work hours to avoid the crowds.

I now get the first train in the morning at 6:50 no feckers playing "platform chess" (trying to stand where they think the door is going to open and pushing people out of the way if wrong), putting bags across a 4 berth, sitting on the outside of empty rows etc. Very few on the home train at 4.30 so same story.

I get to work in good form, happy and relaxed.

if only I could get all the other passengers to close the door after them as they get on....am working on it through the use of glares and tuts. Will be less of an issue as the weather improves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Once saw someone cutting their nails on public transport, granted it was quite and they where cutting into a bag but it was still not the nicest thing to see.

Advertisement