Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda gave out phone number & home address

• 09-05-2016 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,
    Had a minor bump with another car coming out of a carpark yesterday, nothing noticeable nor serious, but my fault. Garda just happened to be nearby ticketing another driver for something :-P Anyway didn't even need to talk to the other driver as the gardai saw it - gave my details to the garda, presumably garda took details of other driver too. He asked me to bring proof of insurance into the station within 10 days - I did it that afternoon. Then rang the insurance company telling them the story, they said they'd look after it, and I thought that was that, putting it down to experience.

Imagine my surprise when the driver rings me this morning at my house wanting 450 to get the 'damage' fixed. Tells me that the garda gave her my number AND my home address, she actually told me my address so I know that was true. God knows what kind of hassle this person is going to cause me now.

My question is, can gardai give out someone's phone number of home address? I just cannot believe that is allowed? Advice & thanks.

Comments

justmehere wrote: »
    Hi,
    Had a minor bump with another car coming out of a carpark yesterday, nothing noticeable nor serious, but my fault. Garda just happened to be nearby ticketing another driver for something :-P Anyway didn't even need to talk to the other driver as the gardai saw it - gave my details to the garda, presumably garda took details of other driver too. He asked me to bring proof of insurance into the station within 10 days - I did it that afternoon. Then rang the insurance company telling them the story, they said they'd look after it, and I thought that was that, putting it down to experience.

Imagine my surprise when the driver rings me this morning at my house wanting 450 to get the 'damage' fixed. Tells me that the garda gave her my number AND my home address, she actually told me my address so I know that was true. God knows what kind of hassle this person is going to cause me now.

My question is, can gardai give out someone's phone number of home address? I just cannot believe that is allowed? Advice & thanks.

No, they wouldn't be supposed to do that.
    Maybe it was a young new guard that didn't realise what they were doing!
    Maybe have a word with her sergeant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

bubblypop wrote: »
    No, they wouldn't be supposed to do that.
    Maybe it was a young new guard that didn't realise what they were doing!
    Maybe have a word with her sergeant.

Actually yes they are, a Garda's only function at a material damage RTC is to take details of the accident and ensure the drivers swap insurance and contact information.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

You should have given your contact details to the other driver. The guard passed the info that you should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Not too long ago I was after getting a new parking spot. When I went to park, someone else was there so I left my car in a neighboring spot. I got a phone call from that spot owner the next morning who had contacted the Gardaí and gotten my details from Pulse (Garda system - car was in it from a minor bump two years previous)

Pretty sure that was a massive data protection breach.

source wrote: »
    Actually yes they are, a Garda's only function at a material damage RTC is to take details of the accident and ensure the drivers swap insurance and contact information.

Yes, details. Insurance details of each person or make sure they give each other their details.
    Not give out personal information.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Yes, details. Insurance details of each person or make sure they give each other their details.
    What to do in the event of a car accident

Exchanging motoring details
    After a car accident, there are a number of things that you need to remember to avoid complications later. The AA Handbook prints a checklist of things to remember. Some motor insurance companies also issue leaflets to keep in your car’s glove box.

These include:
    Your names, addresses and phone numbers
    The address of the owner of the vehicle you are driving if it’s not your car
    Your motor insurance company names and numbers
    Your motor insurance policy numbers
    Your driver's license numbers
    Your vehicle’s registration numbers
    Your car’s year, make, model and color
    You’re not allowed to withhold this information from another party involved in the motor accident. You should also take the contact details and driver’s license numbers of those who witnessed the car accident. Plus the name and number of the on-scene Garda.
    Source: http://www.theaa.ie/aa/insurance/car-insurance/what-to-do-in-the-event-of-a-car-accident.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Section 106 requires you to provide appropriate information to the other driver, specifically, your name and address.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/106/enacted/en/html#sec106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You did damage to another peerson's property, and you are giving out because the guards did what you should have done at the time, and gave you the opportunity to put the damage right without losing your no-claims bonus. Really???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

I'm surprised the garde didn't swap the details there and then. It's standard and TBH having been almost conned once by someone who smashed into us I think it's only right that you have the other persons details with the messing that goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,491 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you can't use the fact that there was a Garda at the scene to evade your responsibilities which includes giving the other driver your details and that includes the name and address of both the driver and the owner of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I know this is late, but at no time did I say I was evading responsibilities. If you actually read my OP you will see that. As other posters have pointed out, I should have given my details direct to the other driver but since the garda took the info and said I could go, I thought that was it. No worries, it was all sorted out with no claim paid. I think the other driver tried to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Late?

Late?

Aw c'mon don't worry about a little ol' 6 and a half years, what's 6 and a half years in the greater scheme of things?

Forget about it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

😂 I don't log on to boards that much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think the Garda is in the wrong as they took your details for the purpose of considering charges against you not for sharing with other persons. You are required to provide details with the other person and, had the Garda not attended, by driving off without sharing them you could have been charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why didn’t you both swap insurance details at the scene? These minor tips are sorted by the insurance companies unless someone admits they were in the wrong and even then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I thought only my GF dug up arguments from 6 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

There is nothing to suggest that. The Garda facilitated in the exchange of particulars at the scene. Particulars which both parties were entitled to under legislation. I don’t see any wrong doing.

As regards the injured party seeking to resolve the matter informally for €450, there is nothing wrong with that either. The OP should however discuss any such offer of settlement with their insurer in the first instance. Unless €450 grossly exceeded the reasonable cost of the repairs to the other car I don’t see why it is thought they were trying to pull a fast one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

As regards the injured party seeking to resolve the matter informally for €450, there is nothing wrong with that either. The OP should however discuss any such offer of settlement with their insurer in the first instance. Unless €450 grossly exceeded the reasonable cost of the repairs to the other car I don’t see why it is thought they were trying to pull a fast one?

Thread is six and a half years old, albeit it was the OP who resurrected it, they state that it's been resolved.

Advertisement