Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are you doing this week in garden?

Options
  • 09-05-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

thought this might be an interesting thread.....I'm white washing the garden walls.....although I'm thinking about a different color as the white stains quite easily.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jrby

its a small garden and doesn't get a lot of sun......any ideas welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

How about installing vine eyes and some wire to allow some climbers to cover the wall
    If you could upload a pic of the area that would be great

will put up something this evening, interested in what other people are doing as well though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Did the majority of work a few weeks ago...redug the border (badly infested with scutch grass so had to manually take it out). But it gave me the opportunity to remove some plants and replace them to freshen thing up.

At the moment watching for slug damage for the new perennials. Tidying up the box hedging and minor tree pruning to keep them in shape. I'll start sorting out my hanging baskets and summer containers this week as well.

I need to paint some fence panels - but it need to stop raining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not a lot, I am somewhat overwhelmed by it. It needs a revamp but I don't have the capability to do it now, and I am not sure what I want anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Earthing up my potatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Astilbe

My garden is finally coming to life this week with the rise in temperatures (at last!)!

I'm training sweet peas and peas upwards. My first batch of radishes are almost ready for harvest. And there's the usual weed and slug/snail patrol.

I've had a bad infestation of greenfly for the past few weeks so trying to control and monitor it- I thought April was too early for greenfly but I was wrong!

jrby- have you considered painting one of the walls a different colour? Or painting the lower half of one of the walls a different colour (maybe a sky clue)?

ZU9AH

K80Hs6p

Some pictures, any suggestions welcome

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Squashing lily beetles, the count in 42 to date. Bastards. Onions just peeking up , so weeding those ridges, planting out some hardy annuals and raking moss from the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Need to spray roses for greenfly and put dahlias in position
    Taking the seed heads off the last few tulips
    Trimming some shrubs that are a bit wild

Jrby your garden looks well
    How about some pots or planters around the patio ?
    Or those pots that can be hung on the wall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

jrby wrote: »
    its a small garden and doesn't get a lot of sun......any ideas welcome!

My back garden gets little sun - so have just revamped it, got rid of the grass, and planted ferns. And some shade-loving flowers for a bit of colour.
    (Edit: jrby - can't see your pics)

On topic, I have been snail and slug hunting, the old-fashioned way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

How do you deal with your slugs? Hostas are looking inviting to them at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

How do you deal with your slugs? Hostas are looking inviting to them at the mo

In the past I've used rough sand (rinse the salt off first), crushed seashells (bash the heck out of them with a hammer) and both work well enough though the seashells leave an awful mess behind.
    This year I've used crushed eggshells as a barrier around the base of the plants and I'm delighted with it. They don't look all that bad and hopefully they'll degrade into the soil easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

My back garden gets little sun - so have just revamped it, got rid of the grass, and planted ferns. And some shade-loving flowers for a bit of colour.
    (Edit: jrby - can't see your pics)

On topic, I have been snail and slug hunting, the old-fashioned way.

Sounds great! In case you hadn't thought of it, hostas add some nice foliage and also have a lovely flower

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Roselm wrote: »
    Sounds great! In case you hadn't thought of it, hostas add some nice foliage and also have a lovely flower

Slugs and snails LOVE hostas, so I have mine in pots.
    You often see them very cheap in winter as it looks like a bare pot. Many of my hostas were bought for 1 euro and they can also be split

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Spent most of the weekend doing this. All the stones along the wall were dug up lifting the sod. House is built on a slate mountain. Turned into an absolute mission. All the stone you see in the wall came out of the foundations while building. The wall runs for another 30 metres to the right of the pic and wraps around the house for another 20.

The white bit at the bottom of the pic is for when the shrubs fill out. Silver flame on the left, forest flame in the centre and a hydrangea that I grew from an off-cut of a shrub in my mother's garden.

Very happy with the end product. That little strip of grass annoyed me having to mow it. When the shrubs are up it'll provide plenty of colour when looking out the front of the house and maybe even a little privacy.

386111.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Have had a pretty lousy start to my gardening, only about 20% of my seeds for tomatoes and chillis have germinated and are very slowly progressing, my 4 physalis from roots(or whatever they are called) none have grown :(, it's my favourite fruit so will have to order seeds. Added coffee grounds to them yesterday, have pellets and a propagator coming tomorrow so will be seeding more tomatoes and chillis using this, epsom salts and vermiculite.

My raspberry and blueberry bushes from stalk & roots (not sure what that is called) are growing leaves and getting bigger, plum tree is flying (€12 in Lidl), peas, green beans, carrots and strawberries, I watered everything with Epsom Salts to try encourage growth while it is warm.

Going to make raised beds in my greenhouse as I think my tomatoes ran out of room in their 12 inch pots last year(first time growing), although I did some extreme pruning last year, I am going to leave the foilage and have less plants and see how we do.

Thinking of putting together a raised bed with a bench, not sure if this is a good idea, thoughts would be very welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Spent most of the weekend doing this. All the stones along the wall were dug up lifting the sod. House is built on a slate mountain. Turned into an absolute mission. All the stone you see in the wall came out of the foundations while building. The wall runs for another 30 metres to the right of the pic and wraps around the house for another 20.

The white bit at the bottom of the pic is for when the shrubs fill out. Silver flame on the left, forest flame in the centre and a hydrangea that I grew from an off-cut of a shrub in my mother's garden.

Very happy with the end product. That little strip of grass annoyed me having to mow it. When the shrubs are up it'll provide plenty of colour when looking out the front of the house and maybe even a little privacy.

386111.gif

Nice work, I assume the shrubs will grow very big?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

They'll get big enough but I'll keep them as neat as I think suits in the long term. The house is quite close to that road there with large front windows so the privacy aspect is a bonus I'll try to maximise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh the garden this week, what lovely weather for it!

Planted out the last of the baby vegetables from the windowsill seed trays, into their summer homes. My little helpers were choosing the seeds this year, so it's a bit of a mix of items, sunflowers with carrots, and marigolds with peas and cabbages.

Painted the heavy climbing frame for them, blue with pink bits... looks like new now even though it was 'free to take away' item on done deal.

Did a lot of weeding, 5 barrows of weeds came out.

Planted up a small area where i had managed to crowbar out an old pampas grass last winter. It's now got three rosemary plants from cuttings, some dark pink flowered sedum and bronze fennel.

Chopped down armfuls of lemon balm as it was taking over my gooseberry patch. No idea what to do with it. Relic of the previous owner. Might have to pull it out, it's so vigourous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement