Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dandelions

Options
  • 08-05-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

My lawn is a sea of dandelions. The ratio to grass has increased incredibly. My other half doesn't want us to use weed killer as we've two children under 5. Any suggestions? Also is it just a year for dandelions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mutjack

Hi one of the ways to cut down on the amount of dandelions you are getting is to take off the flower heads as soon as they open or even before they open this prevents the seeds from forming and spreading even more.As for getting rid of the esablished ones the only way without using weed killer is to dig them out with a narrow trowl so as not to damage the lawn to much.When you dig them out make sure you get the whole root other wise it will regrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

you can buy child and pet friendly stuff to treat your grass now. Aftercut is safe for use with kids and pets too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I found a nifty tool called a weeder in Aldi. I used it yesterday to remove lots of dandelions from a lawn. It's very easy to use and doesn't require much effort. However, it does leave a fairly large hole behind. This doesn't bother me so much as the lawn is also infested with moss and I figure the holes might help drainage and lessen that problem.

See https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/weeder/

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

leck wrote: »
    I found a nifty tool called a weeder in Aldi. I used it yesterday to remove lots of dandelions from a lawn. It's very easy to use and doesn't require much effort. However, it does leave a fairly large hole behind. This doesn't bother me so much as the lawn is also infested with moss and I figure the holes might help drainage and lessen that problem.

See https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/weeder/

Thanks. There are so many think I need something in addition to my current manual efforts

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Jen44 wrote: »
    you can buy child and pet friendly stuff to treat your grass now. Aftercut is safe for use with kids and pets too

I will look into that. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭taxusbaccata

I think unlike most that dandolins are beautiful wild flowers. They are an important nectar source for insects inc bees. You can eat their leaves and roast their chopped roots to make a great coffee.

If you want to minimise them you could try to allow the grass to grow tall - this will deprive them of sunlight and it will be difficult for them to thrive.

You could also go for this beauty:
    >>>//fruithillfarm.com/tools/spades-forks-and-rakes/dock-ragwort-digger.html

Not quite the ALDI price but seriously solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I notice this time every year the dandelions go mental, then they calm down. They won't be so obvious in a few weeks.
    A few years ago, I spent a few hours one day digging up dandelions from the roots with a trowel. A Dutch tradesman who was working at the house that day asked me why I was digging up all the lovely flowers! I don't worry about them as much now 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

emer_b wrote: »
    I notice this time every year the dandelions go mental, then they calm down. They won't be so obvious in a few weeks.

Very true. Same every year. They flower like crazy the first month or so and then relax, it'l be clovers turn next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

If you let them go to seed you will pay .

Manual is the only safe way. It's easy because you can't miss the yellow flowers saying I am over here.

as the saying goes . . .
    One year seed seven years weed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dandelions are only a short term thing. They will eventually disappear in a few weeks.

Killing them off is not worth the effort TBH.

I used to be like the Tasmanian Divil spraying and pulling them out. Now I don't bother and they are gone soon enough. Even if you spray and weed and all the rest of it, they will be BACK next year anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

emer_b wrote: »
    There does seem to be an excessive amount this year especially. Hope you are right that will disappear soon as I have a big lawn and they just re-emerge very quickly after mowing. It would be impossible to remove all manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

I use table salt, poor it onto the centre of the plant and walk away dies in a few days and no harm to kids or pets.

Advertisement