Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting car - do I need International Driving Permit?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭

The Canadian government website says:
    If you have a valid licence from your home country, you will probably be able to use this to drive in Canada for a short period after you arrive. Check with your provincial or territorial government for details. If you plan to use a foreign driver’s licence in Canada, you should get an International Driving Permit (IDP) in your home country. An IDP will give you a translation of your licence into French and English.

I am only on holiday and renting car for 3 days. As an Irish licence is already in English, do I need an IDP? Reason I'm asking is I got one a few months ago just to be sure but can't for the life of me find it anywhere and it will be tight to get a new one before I go, as I have to report lost one to Guards and reapply.

Anyone any experience of renting a car in Canada with only an Irish licence?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Poochie05 wrote: »
    The Canadian government website says:

I am only on holiday and renting car for 3 days. As an Irish licence is already in English, do I need an IDP? Reason I'm asking is I got one a few months ago just to be sure but can't for the life of me find it anywhere and it will be tight to get a new one before I go, as I have to report lost one to Guards and reapply.

Anyone any experience of renting a car in Canada with only an Irish licence?

Went to go rent a car in Toronto last year and had no problems with my Irish drivers license. It's even the old paper one. I'm nearly sure it was enterprise rent a car. Didn't end up renting the car in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Thanks, mine is the old paper one too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Just to follow up, I had no problems renting a car with only my Irish drivers licence.

Advertisement