Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is social mobility in Ireland relative to other countries?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

When I talk about social mobility I mean education, profession and/or personal wealth. There have been many different threads on class here and the one consensus is that there is no consensus on class. Some people think class doesn't change so I mean how hard is it to improve your education, wealth and/or rise in profession in Ireland.

I also don't just mean rising from a low income background to middle class. I want people's opinions on the likelihood of rising from middle class to extremely wealthy ect.

I think social mobility as regards low income to middle income is far easier in Ireland than in England where I currently reside. We have free fees and although we have a divide in educational standards it's nothing like it is in the UK. Part of the time I also live in America's mid west and I think the America is even harder than the UK to better your lot in.

I'm not as clued in about how easy becoming extremely wealthy contrasts between the states, UK and Ireland but I'm open to opinions. If I had to guess I would say I'd likely get a lot richer in America.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just look at
    Joe Duffy
    He came from a wurking class borough of Ballyer to rise to become a €416k pa telephone operator. In what other country in the wuuurld could you do that?
    or Bertie Ahern
    Son of a farm manager, managed to become leader of the country for 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just look at
    Joe Duffy
    He came from a wurking class borough of Ballyer to rise to become a €416k pa telephone operator. In what other country in the wuuurld could you do that?
    or Bertie Ahern
    Son of a farm manager, managed to become leader of the country for 10 years

I'll have nobody casting aspersions on bertie's rise to power. He won it on the geegees fair and square so he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I know my place.

It's easy to be a big fish in a very small pond. It would be easier to rise to the top of your profession in Ireland where numbers are small, but your choice of profession is very limited in terms of opportunity in such a small market.

So, with the right profession and the right connections, you could go to the top in Ireland, but the top in Ireland is a totally different scale compared to the top in the USA say. A top lawyer in the US has faced much greater competition than a top lawyer in Ireland for that allocade.

Advertisement