Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting the USA?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, so I plan on moving to Vancouver at some point this year with my IEC.

I have quite a few friends in the Bay Area in California so ideally I would like to be able to make trips there from time to time, sometimes for a week off but mostly once a month at weekends.

Basically, just wondering if I'm still ok for this with the ESTA? I read things around the 90 day stay etc requiring that you have a return ticket outside the border zone, and that zone includes Canada. So I'm wondering if having a plane ticket back to Canada wouldn't be enough if I wanted to visit continuously? If I could have problems or anything.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Residents of Canada are exempt from the requirement to have a return flight outside of the border zone. You will still need ESTA approval, but nothing else is required. I've travelled to the US quite a few times over land and through air since I got here and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Residents of Canada are exempt from the requirement to have a return flight outside of the border zone. You will still need ESTA approval, but nothing else is required. I've travelled to the US quite a few times over land and through air since I got here and never had an issue.

That's great, thank you.

I see Vancouver has pre clearance too which is always nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pyro7046

Any idea if you hit the 90 day limit if you'll be refused entry after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Pyro7046 wrote: »
    Any idea if you hit the 90 day limit if you'll be refused entry after that?

As in, if you want to stay longer than 90 days at once?

I wouldn't risk it. Rules clearly stipulate that you need a Visa if you intend on staying longer.

No i'm wondering if you reach the 90 days with multiple visits can you just apply again through ESTA or are you no longer able to enter the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pyro7046 wrote: »
    No i'm wondering if you reach the 90 days with multiple visits can you just apply again through ESTA or are you no longer able to enter the US.

You can apply again after 90 days. Just make sure you are not spending too much time in the US.

Thats perfect cheers :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You get a 90 day visa waiver when you enter the US. That allows you to come and go as you please for 90 consecutive days (e.g. January 1 - March 30). After 90 days, you'll need a new visa waiver. I don't believe there's a limit on the number you can get. I'm on my 4th, at least, right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Cina wrote: »
    That's great, thank you.

I see Vancouver has pre clearance too which is always nice!

It does, but its not always nice,its also the only one in which I had secondary

Advertisement