Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croatia / Bosnia 3 weeks Ideas?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I have booked flight in and out of Croatia for 3 weeks in July. Just starting to plan it now but looking for ideas of a rough skeleton of an itinerary.

We are flying into Zadar and out of Dubrovnik and have nothing at all planned in between. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also We were thinking of hiring a car as it seems awkward to get places via train/bus?

From my limited research so far we were looking at going to plitvice lakes (one day enough?) Get the car and travel down towards split then. Is there any islands people would recommend to go to? Also we were thinking of heading to Mostar and Sarajevo are these worth visiting? Is Montenegro worth a visit since we will be flying from Dubrovnik which is pretty close? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The Plitvice Lakes are most definitely worth a visit!
    http://www.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wolfyboy havnt been in Croatia since 2003 so my info is very outdated but thought I'd share anyhow as you have given me the excuse to reminisce!
    We rented a car in Dubrovnik, and my biggest regret is we based there for a whole week, which tied us down. We drove to Bosnia, spending a night in Medjugorje ( not because we were religious but we knew it would be a safe base with plenty of B&Bs on the fly). In 2003 tourists were only starting to come back after the war. We drove to Mostar and I will never forget the views of the city as we drove in....beautiful! The place was still very damaged from bombs and gunfire, with very few new buildings. The bridge was just being rebuilt and the cobbled streets were all torn up. We were the only two tourists in the place that day. It was very surreal. We met a young guy who went out of his way to show us places to eat and also had accommodation. My biggest regret is not staying in Mostar for a night but we were a bit worried having a Croatian rental car. That is 13 years ago and probably a world away from 2016.
    I have a good friend who goes to Sarejevo for the film festival and loves the place.
    Also stopping in MaliSton is a must. It's on the way to Korcula. The scenery is just stunning around there. We got the best ever fish platter in my whole life in a hotel there overlooking the harbour. We still rave about it! The place is best experienced in the evening when the tourists have gone.
    I think Croatia is best experienced with no big plan in place, if you have a car just see where your travels take you.
    There used to be an allnight bakery in Dubrovnik. We used to pop in around 1am and get bread after a long evening eating pizza and drinking beer :-)
    Ive always planned to go back for longer but just havnt got around to it.
    You have just put ideas in my head for 2017!

Advertisement