Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best diesel used car to buy?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for a 1.6 - 1.9 Diesel used family car. 2008-2010 reg. Budget about 11k

Whats the most reliable car to get, that wont give me to much trouble

Im thinking something along the lines of the Ford Mondeo / focus, Opel Insignia, or similar. Or should I look at the Toyota Avensis 2l D4D?

Not interested in VW or anything by them, as too much trouble, in my experience.

Any advice much appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Corolla/auris 1.4 d4d would be the most reliable I'd say followed by something like an i30/cee'd 1.6 diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Corolla/auris 1.4 d4d would be the most reliable I'd say followed by something like an i30/cee'd 1.6 diesel.

Thanks for that Johnboy26.

Whats the i30?

It needs to be at least a 1.6 Diesel , or greater. But i dont want to go too powerful.

Or should i be looking at honda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Have a look at some of the Kia / Hyundai if there is anything in the price range. Quite a few of these do not have a DMF fitted OE, that could save you the best part of €1k

Quite a few of these do not have a DMF fitted OE"/QUOTE]

Thanks Oldmanmondeo.

Excuse my ignorance, . . . but whats a DFM??

tcow wrote: »
    Thanks for that Johnboy26.

Whats the i30?

It needs to be at least a 1.6 Diesel , or greater. But i dont want to go too powerful.

Or should i be looking at honda?

Hyundai i30
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/i30/1.6-COMFORT/201618243301456/
    media?xwm=y&id=18016819&width=400&height=300

The Honda civic is a good car too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Check out the Subaru Legacy.

Pre 2010 have 5 speed box, 6 speed on all newer. http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Subaru/Legacy-2.0-TD-BOXER-DIESEL-4DR-MODEL---One-Owner--/201114432894601530

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

micknail wrote: »

Pre 2010 have 5 speed box, 6 speed on all newer. http://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Subaru/Legacy-2.0-TD-BOXER-DIESEL-4DR-MODEL---One-Owner--/201114432894601530

I'd have a read of this thread before recommending one of those:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561330

micknail wrote: »

The engine in those is like chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Good thing about the early i30 (well ours anyway) is that that don't have a DMF or DPF. Think the facelift has both though.

Thanks lads for that.

So no one here rates the diesel mondeo or focus? Or anything else??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Thanks lads for that.

So no one here rates the diesel mondeo or focus? Or anything else??

The 2008+ 1.8 TDCI Focus / Mondeo has a wet belt which is prone to premature failure which is why they have a fairly bad rep. The belt change is fairly costly as 2 belts need to be changed as opposed to 1 and as far as I know the wet belt is only made by Ford and no aftermarket options are available.

The 1.6 TDCI lump in the Focus is a PSA unit and also has its own problems.

The 2.0 TDCI lump has issues with injectors I've heard.

Actually the 1.6 PSA unit is meant to be fairly good from 2011 onwards when it changed from a 16 valve design to an 8 valve design, not sure if it's out of budget though!

or would i be better off go the extra mile and get the Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D (2008 or 2009 reg)?

Any known problems with these?

Its just that i had the 2.0l Passat, and it was noting but trouble. Its completely put me off high powered diesel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2.0 litre Passat is high powered now. :pac: :)

bazz26 wrote: »
    A 2.0 litre Passat is high powered now. :pac: :)

I know ya. Ball of rubbish they are

Must be all that TDI power, putting stress on the components :)
    Torque is cheap but parts are expensive.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Must be all that TDI power, putting stress on the components :)
    Torque is cheap but parts are expensive.

Very true. But I take it the 2l avensis is safe enough, is it???

It's not indestructible by any means. There's plenty bad ones around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

i've had 2 (2010 and 2013) 1.6 TDI mark 6 golfs, i've had no problems with both (only silly fuel filter issue cause by me fitting it wrong), i know a lot of people have issues with DPF (diesel particulate filter)
    maybe i've been lucky or have not done enough mileage, i also do around 65kms pretty much every day, maybe this helps the regen of the DPF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

The 2.0 TDi CR engine is a good lump. Presuming you had a 2.0 TDi PD engine? These are known for oil pump failure and had an inherent design flaw in the oil pumps. The CR engines that came in in around 2009 are very smooth and economical and don't give half as much trouble.

Would the Citroen C5 1.6 Diesel (2010) be any good? Are they known to give trouble??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Would the Citroen C5 1.6 Diesel (2010) be any good? Are they known to give trouble??

That's the same PSA 1.6 lump like in the Focuses. They are meant to take poor servicing very poorly and the turbo tends to go on them due to oil starvation when the oil feeds get clogged up due to lack of servicing. I would avoid any cars that don't have a service history or a record of a replaced turbo.

From 2011 onwards they switched to an 8 valve design instead of the 16 valve design and it's meant to be improved.

Advertisement