Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend in Waterford

Options
  • 07-05-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I have a weekend booked in Waterford and we'll be staying in the Tower hotel. I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend a nice restaurant close by and a pub with some live band or just even a nice friendly pub with a good atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Geoffs. You'll get directions from the hotel staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

Geoffs. You'll get directions from the hotel staff.

it get's some great reviews online thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Klopp wrote: »
    it get's some great reviews online thank you :)

Geoff's is lovely and only up the road. Also if your looking for somewhere to dine, you can in geoff's or mcleary's is literally across the road. It's steak and seafood and it's absolutely delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

+1 on McLeary's if you like steak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have you any specific type of restaurant you like? I saw your other post on getting a taxi to Bellisimo but to be honest in my opinion there's much nicer places you could just walk to from your hotel.
    Emiliano's is lovely for Italian, Bodega for general bit of everything, there's the Olive Tree right across from the Tower which is tapas. I'm not a big fan of McLearys but some people love it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions. In terms of a restaurant and food we're not that picky but seafood is a option so i'll keep Mcleary's in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

One thing I forgot to mention is that restaurants in town can be very busy at weekends so I'd definitely advise to book in advance and not wait until ye arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

sillysocks wrote: »
    One thing I forgot to mention is that restaurants in town can be very busy at weekends so I'd definitely advise to book in advance and not wait until ye arrive!

+1

If you just rock up at 7.30 or 8 on Saturday evening, you won't have any luck with the better places.

Look in the restaurants thread too for recommendations, but I'd have a lot of good things to say about Café Goa and Peppers (Indian), L'Atmosphere (French), La Boheme (also French, but top end, with prices to match), and Sabai (Asian). My wife has been out lately to the Bay Tree Bistro (Irish contemporary), Kyoto (Japanese/Asian) and Burzza (BURgers and piZZA), and had good things to say about all of them. All are within walking distance.

The Munster, Katty Barry's, the Reg and Jordan's are all very close by your hotel for pints, but Geoff's is my firm favourite. Phil Grimes is a very friendly place with good craft beers apparently (I hear great things about it but I haven't been in there myself in years).

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Thanks again for all the suggestions, almost to many to choose from but it's good to have a choice. I will take a look at online and book it next Monday once herself decides on a time ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Philly Grimes +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Tower a great spot with so many places to eat and drink all within walking distance. Usually we get no further from the hotel than the Chinese restaurant across the road followed by the Reg for a few drinks!

Never been in Phil Grimes - must try it for sure the next time that am in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Hard to get a seat in Geoffs sometimes !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Find Geoff's very dusty and run down but that's the style of the place. Never had food there but seems to be good. Geoffs is one of Waterford's rock bars the other being the thirsty scholor

The tower is a good spot and they do great food too. Katy Barry's pub is very near the tower and is a good spot. Have personal grivences about the reg but it's an OK spot

Other good pubs include the woodman (which is about a 10 min walk from the tower), further a field is the gingerman and Tully's which are both located in the city centre area or close by.

Hope u enjoy ur weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

We also have fantastic countryside, including forestry, mountains, lakes etc etc. Damn nice coastline to. Enjoy the weekend

I have a weekend booked in Waterford and we'll be staying in the Tower hotel. I was hoping some of you might be able to recommend a nice restaurant close by and a pub with some live band or just even a nice friendly pub with a good atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Well, have you been? How did you get on? Where did you eat/drink?

We got on great, we had a really nice weekend and are planning on going back before end of August. I ended up booking McLeary's but we were both left disappointed with the food choices and particularly our starter. The staff and service was great, might of being the owner who was was there running things who was really nice but i won't be going back when we revisit.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

We got on great, we had a really nice weekend and are planning on going back before end of August. I ended up booking McLeary's but we were both left disappointed with the food choices and particularly our starter. The staff and service was great, might of being the owner who was was there running things who was really nice but i won't be going back when we revisit.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I'd certainly recommend Emilianos for great Italian food. Bodega is lovely for local produce and Burzza for snazzy burgers/pizza with lovely options for jazzing up chips!

In August you'd be mad not to have a go at some kayaking or a trip to Moes in Tramore for a surfy lunch at the beach.

I'd certainly recommend Emilianos for great Italian food. Bodega is lovely for local produce and Burzza for snazzy burgers/pizza with lovely options for jazzing up chips!

In August you'd be mad not to have a go at some kayaking or a trip to Moes in Tramore for a surfy lunch at the beach.

wheres the kayaking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    wheres the kayaking at?

This is one example I found. I haven't gone with them before so not sure what trips are on offer.
    http://www.seapaddling.com/guided-tours

• Advertisement

This is one example I found. I haven't gone with them before so not sure what trips are on offer.
    http://www.seapaddling.com/guided-tours

ah i know of mick. nice chap but ive never gone out with it. should really as id say he does great tours. should be attempting a coastal run ourselves soon

BTW, I was in Bodega one evening since my original reply to the OP, and I have to say I was mightily impressed. As mentioned before, the best of local produce was showcased on one of the tasting menus, which I went for. Great food!

Advertisement