Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with interpretting county council form

Options
  • 07-05-2016 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum!

I'm trying to organise an walk/cycle/horse trek for a charity, and have emailed the county council on advice from aforementioned charity. I have a few questions about the form they have sent me back.

They want names and contact details of the promoter, event controller, and event safety officer. Do these people need specific training? Would having St Johns ambulance cover the safety officer aspect, or are they looking for a particular person?

This would be on very rural roads, however they need a traffic management plan that includes a list of qualified personnel. I'm not entirely sure where to even start searching for someone who has traffic management qualifications, particularly when we won't be in an area with much traffic. I was thinking of looking for advice from the local Gardai on this though, as I have to get a support letter and bucket collection approval anyway.

They're also looking for proof of insurance with indemnity. My question on this however is how do most charity events deal with the cost of insurance? Does it come out of the money raised? Does it come out of the organiser's (in this case, mine) personal pocket? Do people usually secure sponsorship for costs like insurance, leaflet printing etc?

I know these are probably silly questions, but I want to make sure I do everything right to make it easier, instead of bulling in head first and then having to fix it all again later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Hope I can help you a little bit. The Safety Officer would usually be somebody with a background in safety and road safety in this case. Do you know any Council engineer or technician who could do that for you? Also I have seen Civil Defence people filling that role. Apropos the latter you might ask Civil Defence if they would suppoer toyur effort on the big day by helping marshalling the crowds you (hopefully) attract. The trffic Management Plan can be as simple or complicated as you want to make it but also depends on what that Council want. For your needs I think a simple sketch showing the road you are going to use, start and finishing point, times etc., width of road and if it changes along its length the various widths. Better still if you can do it on Google maps. Approach the local Gardaí as they are the Traffic Authority. They might be able to advise you of procedures, any objections they might have and also of knowledgeable people in your area. Try to get to the Super if you can as he is usually more politically aware. Use your Councillor for this if need be. Also use your local Councillor/s to intervene and make representations on your behalf and on behalf of the Charity. Hopefully the road is not too busy. Check with the local Roads Engineer/ Area Engineers office of the Council to see if any roadworks are planned for that time. Also ask for his advice - most of those guys that I know will be very 'sound'.
    I hope this helps some and that the event is a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

The St Johns ambulance person would come in handy in the event of minor injuries on the day. Ask the council if their insurers, usually IPBMI iRISH pUBLIC bODIES mutual Insurances can cover the event for a fee - a lot of councils used do that for a different operation i.e. road openings.
    If you want to PM me feel free to do so.

Advertisement