Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT rates Gluten-free bakery?

Options
  • 06-05-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

I hope this is the correct forum, apologies in advance if not....

I need advice on VAT rates, I've tried unsuccessfully so far to research this (even amongst seasoned bakers whom I suspect some are winging it themselves) and my head is a bit melted with it at this stage, I'm hoping someone has seen this conundrum before!

I am trying to establish a small bakery, the thing with it is that it will be exclusively gluten-free environment plus I'm going beyond the normal limited range of products in these circumstances, we can successfully make stuff not normally out there like sausage rolls.

There are 2 parts to the business, all operating out of the same building. I plan to run a wholesale side where I bake/package and deliver to healthfood deli's, corporate canteens etc. no supermarkets though. And at the front I have a traditional retail front-end outlet/showcase where we will sell our full range directly to passing public.

Anyway I cannot find a complete guide to VAT rates I'm supposed to be charging on supply for the retail or wholesale. Per feedback and my own research VATCA 2010 etc. I believed there was no special or different treatment for Gluten-Free bread, cakes, pastries etc. that it is charged per normal baked goods. HOWEVER I also read on the revenue site that there IS a zero rating on "Spelt Cakes"
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-05223.jsp

Spelt bread and cake is in the same direction as mine, just doesn't go as far in the process. It's made with a mix which results in the item being Wheat free (as mine is) but not Gluten free (GF is much more hardcore to produce)

Spelt is very commonly mistakenly interchanged as a term with Gluten-Free.

Both are wheat free but my mixtures eliminate the gluten also.

Surely this means that my cakes are also 0% rated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Okay I can't post links but Revenue does have to types of foods that might relate to your situation

* Coeliac foods that would cover sausages and sausages rolls and similar foods. "Gluten free food not given special treatment for VAT. Rate of VAT is by reference to the product in question.". In this case go to the Vat rates section and make a search for "Coeliac Foods"

* Gluten Free Confectionery the rate is the same for standard confectionery.

The Spelt cakes zero rate might refer to standard cakes and bread made with spelt and similar mixes that are zero rated when done with wheat.

I guess the best thing is go with rates applied to "normal" food and contact Revenue Commissioners either by:

* MyEnquires online services
    * Or the email service that FizzleSticks provides it's a bit different in the Revenue page so you might want to check Revenue website > Contact Details (top of the page)> choose the right region that corresponds you

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

GLUTEN FREE CONFECTIONERY Rate:Standard

Click on this link for the current and historic VAT rates.Value-Added Tax Consolidation Act 2010 (VATCA 2010) Ref:Section: 46(1)(a)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭martco

thanks a mil for all the replies, meantime I've written in to the local revenue and I'll update later when I hear back

• Advertisement
Advertisement