Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting and Finance Bachelors Degree... Worth it???

Options
  • 06-05-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys! I'm wondering if anyone can help me or give me advice on my situation..

I enrolled with Griffith Collage in Limerick to study Accounting Technician as a mature student. They rang me a couple of weeks back and told me that they won't be going ahead with year one of the AT course this year (not sure why) but that if I was interested I could look into the Accounting and Finance course starting in September.

My problem is this.. I don't have a backround with accounting and I'm wondering if I would be throwing myself into the deep end? Also, if I was to go through with it what would be my career possibilities? Would I get certain exemptions if I decided to go on and do the Accounting exams?

Thanks for any replies .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jennifervn

mandik wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm wondering if anyone can help me or give me advice on my situation..

I enrolled with Griffith Collage in Limerick to study Accounting Technician as a mature student. They rang me a couple of weeks back and told me that they won't be going ahead with year one of the AT course this year (not sure why) but that if I was interested I could look into the Accounting and Finance course starting in September.

My problem is this.. I don't have a backround with accounting and I'm wondering if I would be throwing myself into the deep end? Also, if I was to go through with it what would be my career possibilities? Would I get certain exemptions if I decided to go on and do the Accounting exams?

Thanks for any replies .

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this will help but I'm gonna give you my opinion.

I did a degree in accounting & finance in Griffith and now I'm doing ACCA and working as trainee accountant at the same time.

In my opinion, you don't need to know anything to start year one in Griffith. The main subject for year one will be Business Accounting which I think you should put most of your time on it (if you want to become an accountant). By completing 3 year course in Griffith, you will get 9 exemptions from the ACCA, Cap 1 in ACA, not sure about other accountancy bodies.

But I'm pretty sure that you can start from scratch with that course. All you need to do is put your real effort in the core subjects and they will prepare u a good background for any other professional bodies.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

mandik wrote: »

Thanks for any replies .

Have you considered doing ATI online? I've met several people that did it that way and they were very happy with the way the lectures were delivered online and how it worked for them. They have continued studying after with ACA.

I've heard great things about the Accounting & Finance 3 year program in Griffith and you do get great exemptions as well from ACCA and CPA and I don't think they are going to start from a different level that if you were starting ATI.

Maybe ask in Griffith if they could let you speak with previous students to get a feeling of how it went for them? Jennifervn already seems very happy and she already went that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭HeinekenTicket

I also suggest you consider the ATI online option.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mandik

Thank you everyone for those replies. They've made me more at ease.

Just as a matter of interest, if I decided not to move on to accounting and decided to finish up after the 3 years, what road would I be looking down career wise?

Advertisement