Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone commute from Dundalk to Dublin Airport by car?

Options
  • 06-05-2016 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Husband and I are looking for a house and want to be out in the country, city/urban living doesn't really suit us!

One of the houses we are looking at is near the Hill Of Faughart just north of Dundalk.

Google maps reckons around an hour if you leave at 5pm. I drive an electric car so I go a bit slower than the average.

Just trying to find out if google maps timing is accurate or if it realistically takes a lot longer than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Hi,

Husband and I are looking for a house and want to be out in the country, city/urban living doesn't really suit us!

One of the houses we are looking at is near the Hill Of Faughart just north of Dundalk.

Google maps reckons around an hour if you leave at 5pm. I drive an electric car so I go a bit slower than the average.

Just trying to find out if google maps timing is accurate or if it realistically takes a lot longer than that.

Yeah, that sounds about right. You might be a bit pressed on speed if you're in an electric car. I don't know the range on those these days but I can't imagine it's that great now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I normally get at least 100km, more in the summer, but there are 2 fast charge points along the route so I could stop and even 5 minutes would get me an extra 10 or 20km.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I normally get at least 100km, more in the summer, but there are 2 fast charge points along the route so I could stop and even 5 minutes would get me an extra 10 or 20km.

I stand to be corrected, but range aside, current-gen electric cars are more suited to urban low-mileage commuting. Extended motorway spins and frequent charging would likely have a detrimental effect on the battery I'd think.

But electric car or not, don't forget to price in the tolls, extra tyres and general wear and tear on the car and the point that the M1 can be a pain with the NI drivers who think limits don't apply and tailgating, so you'll need to be a confident defensive driver who's well able to keep up with the flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

If you want to consider public transport - there is the 100X operated by Bus Eireann from Dundalk to Dublin Airport.

http://buseireann.ie/timetables/1425901973-100X.pdf

Advertisement