Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for in a kite?

Options
  • 05-05-2016 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Look at all these lovely Kites on Amazon here

What do you have to look for to get a good kite?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Something to hold onto?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Plausible deniability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Look at all these lovely Kites on Amazon

Before purchasing your kite i think you should be aware of the dangers involved in flying a kite. You should research the safety regulations involved in flying a kite. For example:

"Never fly your kite near or over people. Some kites have the ability to reach speeds over 80 MPH. If your kite ever did strike someone at that speed, the results could be fatal. Even slower moving power kites can send someone to the hospital room if they were hit by one. Kites will also put extreme tension on the kite lines making them razor sharp, any line under tension can cause severe cuts, bruises and burns if it comes into contact with anyone at any speed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Thought kites were only used by politicians near budget time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 psychomantis

Is there a warranty on those kites? Peterson's in Dun Laoghaire is good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Is there a warranty on those kites? Peterson's in Dun Laoghaire is good
    Thought they only did torches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How lazy are you OP? Have you considered a Chinese lantern instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

We have a power kite and had the whole conversation with her that we lay it ALL out , hold handles at end and just run into wind and up the kite goes........like most women does she listen .........no....

She says no, hold lines right next to kite and let it go up gradually, I tried I tried ......

Because I love her so much I bought all the cream and bandages and didn't once say I told you so....... .

.....they can fairly move you know .....hint...POWER KITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Go fly a kite! Oh wait...that's what you are intending on doing...carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

If you get a stunt kite just be careful when you tell people what it is. You really don't want to get tongue tied on that one...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

They sell fairly smart stunt kites in Tiger for 7quid.

Standard delta shape with a span of about 1.2m and 80m of string on each spool.

The spool is important as it makes letting out and winding in easy.

I put a fishing swivel on each line where it attaches to the kite as it stop the string from twisting and makes setting up and taking apart really easy.

For 7quid it'll give you hours of fun. Nothing like a brisk morning on the beach doing loop the loops and if you drive it into the ground and wreck it (although they're quite robust) your not out of pocket by much.

Well worth it.

The swivels don't come with the kite.

Also- wear a hoody top as it'll keep you nice and cosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Buy a drone OP, and destroy those kites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

With a speaker blasting Flight of the Valkyries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

like everything else, size matters.
    get the biggest one you can.
    Before purchasing your kite i think you should be aware of the dangers involved in flying a kite. You should research the safety regulations involved in flying a kite. For example:

"Never fly your kite near or over people. Some kites have the ability to reach speeds over 80 MPH. If your kite ever did strike someone at that speed, the results could be fatal. Even slower moving power kites can send someone to the hospital room if they were hit by one. Kites will also put extreme tension on the kite lines making them razor sharp, any line under tension can cause severe cuts, bruises and burns if it comes into contact with anyone at any speed".

and make it high-vis too, keep the H&S crowd happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Then get one of those anti-drone drones with nets to beat the drones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Look at all these lovely Kites on Amazon here

I have a 1.3 Symphony (third one in that link) and I love it. Takes a lot of practice to use it properly - it'll hit the ground a lot in the early days. Just make sure that there is no power lines overhead, barbed wire anywhere around and definitely no people/animals in front of you. When you get used to using it properly you can use it to drag you across a beach.....go barefoot - shoes dig into the sand no matter what you do.

But best advice is to get someone that is into kite surfing to help you out if you really want to fly a kite. They know what would be best for your build and abilities.

Have fun and fly free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Please watch the safety ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

More seriously OP I had one of these for a couple of years and it was great fun
    http://www.powerkiteshop.com/peter-lynn-vibe-kite.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My friend's dad used to have a teddy bear launcher. He would fly a big stable kite on a single line & then attach a teddy bear with a parachute. A second kite tows the bear up the line & then releases it to parachute down. Kids loved it & would bring their bears to have a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A sense of humor is important, if it makes you laugh it's a keeper

Advertisement