Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus MKII 2006 door open light constantly on

Options
  • 05-05-2016 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This happened to me the other day.
    When I got into me car I noticed that the light that shows that I didn't close a door properly wouldn't turn off. Its actually been on about a week.

The light in the middle turns off when all doors are closed.
    I put it into "test mode" and the car beeps when I open every door, so the sensors seem to be able to tell when a door is opened or closed.
    The brake lights work fine.
    I sprayed some WD40 into the gap on each door where the door latch is, in case something was stuck, and in the hope that it would loosen it.
    I also tried slamming all the doors a few times.
    When I double lock the car, usually the hazards flash to indicate the immobiliser is active, but that doesn't happen, presumably because the car thinks a door is open.

At this stage I still haven't pinpointed which door is causing problems. Or if it's not the doors, and could be something else, like a broken wire or short, or blown fuse.
    I have an ODB reader and no warnings showed up, but I suppose all they detect is engine faults.

Has anyone seen this on a ford focus before, and been able to easily fix it?

At this stage I'm thinking it's beyond my basic knowledge and I'll have to throw it into a garage and pay ludicrous money for a small part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

The door close sensor switch is built into the door lock mechanism.

A lot of cars use a network system to relay such information around the car so you need to remove the door from the network.

Try removing each doors fuses one at a time:
    F55
    F41
    F82
    F81

• Registered Users Posts: 30,036 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Could it be boot latch/sensor maybe, (is light in boot off)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

Might also be the bonnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

There's no light inside the boot unfortunately. Its the LX model.
    Also, I'm not sure if it's the bonnet either. All I know is, when I opened the bonnet, the alarm went off. Not sure if the alarm is connected to the door open sensor but if it is, then surely the alarm would be constantly going off?
    Thanks for the info on the fuses, mullingar. Will try that after work. I might see if there's fuses for the boot and bonnet sensors as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

Mate of mine used to have an 06 LX, the boot sensor was dodgy on his and that exact issue would happen every couple of weeks, he had it up at ford a few times but they couldnt do anything unless it was happening when it was at the garage. It wasnt a major issue so he never had it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Are you the saloon or hatch??

Saloons are known to break their cables inside the rubber conduit between the boot door and the body. Pull back this rubber and check for any cable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

^^^^ what he said.

Ye it's the saloon alright. Will wait for the rain to die down and then see what I can do.

Only F55 had a fuse in it, and I tested it and it's not blown.

Also, where is the wire in the boot? Is it the one on the left with the wires for the brake lights?

It goes up into the bootlid on the left hand side beside the hinge.

• Advertisement

It's the boot alright. The wires are in absolute shiite!!!

The_B_Man wrote:
    It's the boot alright. The wires are in absolute shiite!!!

Replace the loom dont even bother trying to repair it ,It never lasts.

Fixed it there. Reconnected the wires with some spade connectors and all is good again. Actually better than good. I've had this car near 3 years and never noticed it had a boot light!! Once I reconnected all the wires, it magically appeared. Took me a few seconds to realise what it was.
    So that problem must have been present since I bought the car.

But ye, if it happens again, I'll put it into a garage to replace the loom.

One last thing. Mullingar mentioned there about the fuses for the doors at 4 positions (41,55,81,82). Only 55 had a fuse in it. Is this ok or whats the story there? Are they just backup fuses?

Thanks again for the help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've just discovered I've a similar problem. Mk2 Focus saloon. The light in the boot stopped coming on when it was opened ages ago. I just assumed the bulb had gone and didn't bother doing anything about it.

Last night I noticed it was coming on when the boot was closed (I could see a light coming through the vents from the boot at the parcel shelf. I had a look later, and it had turned off. When it was on, the digital odometer was also lit up, so there may be a link between the two.

Anyone have any ideas? The boot lid open warning doesn't come on (unless the boot is open).

Advertisement