Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on engineering

Options
  • 05-05-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm looking for some help with what I should do?

I'm finishing my degree in college in the next few weeks and realise the course is not for me (accounting)

I am thinking of doing engineering but I have already tried it and lasted one year. The reason I left was that I was young and lazy and never made the effort. I do enjoy the thought of engineering but not too sure on where to start or how. I feel that if I go to college I Will not know enough and fall back into the same pattern as before.

Is there anything to suggest to someone like me? Basics of where to start with engineering? I would feel a lot more motivated if I knew where to start as I would confident in what I'd be doing. I have matured a lot since before and I would not take this for granted. Just basics on how and where to start?

I also done maths in school and enjoy working with numbers. The oy problem is though tho that I feel that I'm not a quick learner like most others and fear that I would fall behind in class and not be able to keep up. I was always the same in school all maths was easy once I was shown how to do it but I would need to be shown multiple times. Is there anything anyone could suggest so that I can improve on my skills?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'd start off with looking at the maths as this is one of the things which would get on top of you pretty quickly.
    Look at picking up Basic Engineering Maths by John Bird. I never did the leaving cert and I found it very useful for getting up to speed before doing my degree so should be good enough to let you know if you can pick the stuff up or not. There are also advanced books too if you're able.

If you really depend on people showing you how to do things perhaps engineering isn't your thing, a lot of it (in college and industry) is about figuring things out, solving problems and so on. Spend the time figuring things out and understanding it, if you can go through that maths book and figure out how to get from step 1 to step 5 in the more difficult topics that's a good start.

Without knowing what discipline you're interested in it's hard to give more detailed advice about what subjects to brush up on but the most basic bit of info is to work hard from day one. Some people may need an hour to get to grips with a topic, you may need a week so don't set your targets on what other people do and put the head down until you get things properly.
    If you hit the ground running engineering courses can be hugely rewarding and interesting but once you start struggling or falling behind, they're a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

As an engineer I can tell you that most of us wish we had've stayed closer to the money in fields like accounting or finance because the pay in engineering is sh#te in comparison.

That said, the work may be more interesting and enjoyable so people say it's better to do something you enjoy if you don't think you like accountancy.

I'm not sure what advice to give you to switch from one to the other, a lot of jobs will require an engineering degree and there is not a lot of crossover from accounting to engineering. You would need to pick an engineering course you think you like and talk to the college about whether you can go straight into second year or slip certain subjects like maths for example. You will have to pay full fees if you go this route.

The other option might be a masters in engineering but I'm not sure how easy that would be to complete coming from an accountancy course as you would be covering a lot of new subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Day.dreaming

Tails142 wrote: »
    As an engineer I can tell you that most of us wish we had've stayed closer to the money in fields like accounting or finance because the pay in engineering is sh#te in comparison.

That said, the work may be more interesting and enjoyable so people say it's better to do something you enjoy if you don't think you like accountancy.

I'm not sure what advice to give you to switch from one to the other, a lot of jobs will require an engineering degree and there is not a lot of crossover from accounting to engineering. You would need to pick an engineering course you think you like and talk to the college about whether you can go straight into second year or slip certain subjects like maths for example. You will have to pay full fees if you go this route.

The other option might be a masters in engineering but I'm not sure how easy that would be to complete coming from an accountancy course as you would be covering a lot of new subjects

Appreciate the advice. All is taken into consideration. I've learned that money is not a motivator for myself anymore. I'm more of a person who would be into doing sometimes I'd enjoy for a fair wage. Life would seem a lot better.

I just don't have any direction of where I should start. Simple tasks as finding something to work on at home seems interestng but I never know what to start on. I will continue to do research on courses etc. and go from there.

Thank you again for he help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Appreciate the advice. All is taken into consideration. I've learned that money is not a motivator for myself anymore. I'm more of a person who would be into doing sometimes I'd enjoy for a fair wage. Life would seem a lot better.

I just don't have any direction of where I should start. Simple tasks as finding something to work on at home seems interestng but I never know what to start on. I will continue to do research on courses etc. and go from there.

Thank you again for he help

Look at this course: https://itsligo.ie/courses/certificate-in-automation-and-electronics/

1 year part time (2 evenings per week on your laptop and one classroom day a month) and you get a cert in automation and electronics.
    1 more year full time to Level 7 and another to Level 8.

Your year in engineering and accounting degree will be more than enough to get you on the course.
    You can work full time in the meantime and study in evenings and weekends. It's only a half year of work spread across a year.

Money isn't everything and if you're good you'll be paid well.

What type of engineering interests you?

• Advertisement

KeithTS wrote: »
    What type of engineering interests you?

The previous course I have done was electrical engineering but I would like to do mechanical but am not sure where to even start with it.

Well it's too late to apply for a course starting this year, that gives you a lot of time to get yourself together.
    I believe you have to have application for mature student entry handed in by the end of January if you intend to start in Sept 2017. Do a bit of research on that if you're serious about going back.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but from studying and working with the them some things to study to see if you're up to it and interested enough to do the course could be maths, applied maths, physics, fluid dynamics, materials sciences and so on. Also it may be good to look at learning something a little more hands on and fun too like solid works to apply some of this knowledge.

The only way to get into this stuff is by picking up books and solving problems, mechanical stuff is a little less accessible than electronics where you're able to pick up an Arduino and blink LEDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Application through the CAO is closed.

You may still apply directly to the college as you're a special case.

The course I listed above accepts applicants right up till August.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

I'm in the opposite boat to the OP going into final year Mechanical Engineering in September and I already know I don't want to be an engineer. I plan on heading down the Business/Finance route, but for the moment I'll be focused on getting my degree.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/enterprise-systems.html#course_outline

Would a post-grad like this be of any interest Day.dreaming?
    It's not quite engineering but it should compliment your accounting degree while allowing you to move into a different field of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Canaryblue wrote: »
    I'm in the opposite boat to the OP going into final year Mechanical Engineering in September and I already know I don't want to be an engineer. I plan on heading down the Business/Finance route, but for the moment I'll be focused on getting my degree.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/taught-postgraduate-courses/enterprise-systems.html#course_outline

It's not quite engineering but it should compliment your accounting degree while allowing you to move into a different field of work.

I'm a structural engineer. Just out of interest...what changed during your time in college that has put you off engineering?

• Advertisement

KeithTS wrote: »
    Well it's too late to apply for a course starting this year, that gives you a lot of time to get yourself together.
    I believe you have to have application for mature student entry handed in by the end of January if you intend to start in Sept 2017. Do a bit of research on that if you're serious about going back.

I'm not a mechanical engineer but from studying and working with the them some things to study to see if you're up to it and interested enough to do the course could be maths, applied maths, physics, fluid dynamics, materials sciences and so on. Also it may be good to look at learning something a little more hands on and fun too like solid works to apply some of this knowledge.

The only way to get into this stuff is by picking up books and solving problems, mechanical stuff is a little less accessible than electronics where you're able to pick up an Arduino and blink LEDs.

This is of great help! Appreciate it I'll take this time to get an understanding of a course in the area is right for me.

Canaryblue wrote: »

This isn't really a course I would seem interested in. I've done a lot of these modules and a lot are business related. It would be more suitable for someone wantng to take that career path

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

I'm a structural engineer. Just out of interest...what changed during your time in college that has put you off engineering?

Well I've realised I really don't like designing and I'm not the most mechanically minded. I've also spent 8 months work placement in a multi national, which was grand but I just think the Business world would suit me better.
    This isn't really a course I would seem interested in. I've done a lot of these modules and a lot are business related. It would be more suitable for someone wantng to take that career path
    Fair enough,just thought I'd suggest it. What KeithTS has said is great advice anyway.

Advertisement