Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair or replace bumper

Options
  • 05-05-2016 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Lads. some advice needed. I got rear ended in my 2011 A6, minor enough damage (paint scratches and body work has a 10mm pierce). Audi say that the bumper needs replacing and provided an estimate for same and I passed this on to the insurance. As the claim is going through the other party's insurance, the insurance company has advised me that they have agreed a "repair" with Audi (with consulting me). Am I due a new bumper or just accept a repair. I want new and not sure how to fight for it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it's just scratches, it may not need a bumper.
    Maybe the Audi quote was off the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Put a pic up of the bumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If an estimate has been passed on and the insurance company has "agreed a repair" it usually means they have agreed on the suggested repair method for the car (in your case a replacement bumper). Not that they have agreed to repair as opposed to replace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If an estimate has been passed on and the insurance company has "agreed a repair" it usually means they have agreed on the suggested repair method for the car (in your case a replacement bumper). Not that they have agreed to repair as opposed to replace.

What he said

How much is the quote (I'm nosey)
    Insurance used to give you the money and then You could get a body shop to stick a new one on for 500

• Registered Users Posts: 5 15aspen

Quote for replacement A6 bumper was €1360 inc parts labour paint vat etc. Turns out the insurance company just did a desktop assessment and not a physical one. Audi have since convinced the insurance company that the damage has pierced the bumper (hard to tell in a photo) and new one is needed. It's getting signed off and I am awaiting the nod to get it done. Thanks for your help anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

would be E300 to get a hole filled if it even exists and bumper resprayed in most body shops... What a surprise that audi recommenced a new bumper :rolleyes:

I just read your post again, I doubt they would even change the bumper, why would you bother! No doubt just fix up exisiting one if it has a hole, paint it and done...

I wonder whether audi even do the work themselves, or outsource it, get trade price nice E250 ish and charge other company E1360 for the privilege...

Do you have a photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Idbatterim wrote: »
    would be E300 to get a hole filled if it even exists and bumper resprayed in most body shops... What a surprise that audi recommenced a new bumper :rolleyes:

I just read your post again, I doubt they would even change the bumper, why would you bother! No doubt just fix up exisiting one if it has a hole, paint it and done...

I wonder whether audi even do the work themselves, or outsource it, get trade price nice E250 ish and charge other company E1360 for the privilege...

Do you have a photo?

Is he not entitled to a bumper?

Doesn't matter if it's a Dacia Logan or an Audi A6, your entitled to your car in a 'pre accident condition' and a panel full of filler is not an acceptable refinish in a scenario like this. That fact aside, if the plastic is mis shapen, you could have a lad pricking around with it for hours trying to shape it back right and the price of his time would equate to that of a new bumper anyway.

It's all only speculation anyway and none of us have seen the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

For me it'd depend on the damage. I'd rather NOT replace panels/bumpers if at all possible, sometimes the repair is better than the replacement IMO.

No wonder insurance is so fc*ked in this country of less than 2m private cars.

for a bumper a repair is never better.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    for a bumper a repair is never better.

Like I said, each to their own. I've first hand experience(s) of this.

If the damage is light, is 'high' then it's a no brainer. If the damage is heavy, including a tear or if it is in any way 'low' then I'd agree.

• Advertisement

any filler put in is liable to crack or come out if there's any impacts or scrapes. bumper is supposed to be able.to take light knocks.
    bumper is a bolt-on part. as long as the paint matches a replacement will be as good as new.

any filler put in is liable to crack or come out if there's any impacts or scrapes. bumper is supposed to be able.to take light knocks.
    bumper is a bolt-on part. as long as the paint matches a replacement will be as good as new.

Filler is not used with 'high' damage...

Clearly.

Clearly.

Well then your quoted post above is irrelevant

i think you need to read the whole thing again.

ciarsd wrote: »

If the damage is light, is 'high' then it's a no brainer. If the damage is heavy, including a tear or if it is in any way 'low' then I'd agree.
    ciarsd wrote: »
    Filler is not used with 'high' damage...
    i think you need to read the whole thing again.

Perhaps you should educate yourself on such repairs and take your own advise and re-read. You mention filler, not me. I'd never put that cr*p near one of my cars. In discussing high damage on bumpers, you replied stating filler cracks. Filler doesn't go near a bumper repair that has 'high' damage. That's the end of it for me..

Anything with low damage or a tear, is a new bumper for me every time. Next potential trip up as colm_mcm rightly states is colour matching. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Anyway, OP, have you a photo of the damage under discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 15aspen

Site wont allow me to post a pic or link due to new user status, sorry.

BTW, no filler going anywhere near my car.

Advertisement