Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flogas Irish Amateur Open Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,881 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So enjoyable few hours down In Royal Dublin.

I think the best of the scoring had happened when I got there - The wind looked a bit stronger as I arrived and the last hole there is an animal into the wind across an OB/Water hazard. Good + player golfers were hitting like 5 irons and even 3 woods (onto a par 4). So on a good scoring day a reminder why Royal Dubin is a place you love or hate. I have never played "Royaler" to my shame. It honestly looks like a course I would love.

The rough is cut back too much and at least it makes it a bit easier and a faster round for all - looked like 4 hour 30 min rounds were on in 3 balls.

Lovely to see golfers near/at the top top level, strike the ball - so clean and that sound is incredible. A reminder why you are just hanging around mid to single level golf. Another thing - and a thing that is often dismissed by many a golfer - the raw distance they need and have off the tee is incredible - You have to be able to get it out to 300 yards, (and take the lucky bounce of a links then) - example from the blue sticks some par 4s are 450 + (14th) - you quickly find yourself hitting a 6/5 iron into a fast elevated green and you need a miraculous short game.

The green complexes there look incredible - you often hear people say the greens are poor there - they were a bit slow , but looked great.

Apparently this event is coming to the end of a run there and they are heading to RCD next year.

You see the same faces at these events - and it is the same people around the top amaetur game.

The routines that are now part of the game are for all to see - very often a simple chip takes an age , the putting and marking routines that have been talked and talked about are a torture to watch. GUI look like they are keeping things moving - with players going on the clock and a 50 second rule (good to see).

But some fabulous golf and ball striking on display - but not too many great putting displays.

Noticed a great plaque to Christy O'Connor SNR at 17th - who ended a round there Eagle Bird Eagle - to win Carroll's International 1966. I don't think we know now - how big a deal Christy was, 10 Ryder Cups in a row.

So if you have any time to get down and watch the future , do it.

You just never know who the one is, who will be the next Harrington or Oosthuizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Good post Fix.

Any of these happen over the summer months? I get the summer months free so would love to take something like this in.

the lawman wrote: »
    Good post Fix.

Any of these happen over the summer months? I get the summer months free so would love to take something like this in.

This event is on this weekend. It is the best viewing course I was ever on for golf.

Maybe Gorfield would be a good guy to recommend another event to go to.

By the way - the new friend of any golf viewing is a range finder - tells you so much more about a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

This event is on this weekend. It is the best viewing course I was ever on for golf.

Maybe Gorfield would be a good guy to recommend another event to go to.

By the way - the new friend of any golf viewing is a range finder - tells you so much more about a shot.

Nothing near this quality of field in any other tournament in ireland tbh, the east of ireland at baltray on the Monday for the leading groups might be the best bet.

Our best players generally dont play the irish events due to the way the WAGR is set up.

Nothing near this quality of field in any other tournament in ireland tbh, the east of ireland at baltray on the Monday for the leading groups might be the best bet.

Our best players generally dont play the irish events due to the way the WAGR is set up.

Thanks -

Interesting , what is the impact for their WAGR ?

I think you have said before - over that bridge is a nightmare on a bad day. I've seen horrible conditions ?

• Advertisement

Jaysus

What a round.

Must be near course record.

http://gui.intelligentgolf.ie/viewround.php?roundid=36565

A reminder what you can see down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Thanks -

Interesting , what is the impact for their WAGR ?

I think you have said before - over that bridge is a nightmare on a bad day. I've seen horrible conditions ?

WAGR events are ranked alphabetically, Pro, Elite, A, B etc etc

Irish Am is ranked A, all other irish cships are C D E F , so the points on offer are tiny compared to overseas events.

Yeah ive given up crossing the bridge, its so awful on a bad day, but would be lovely this weekend, i might go watch on Sunday though.

Advertisement