Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Time Car Buyer

Options
  • 05-05-2016 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm looking into buying my first car. The car I am looking at in a 2010 Ford KA Petrol 1.2 Ltr 3dr... Is this a good car for a first time buyer? Also any idea what the insurance would be like on a car like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Insurance premiums do not work off a fixed price menu, they are tailed to the individual as well as the car they are insuring depending on the insurance company so nobody here can tell what it will cost you. You will have to get online quotes and/or ring around the various companies for prices. There really is no short cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Insurance premiums do not work off a fixed price menu, they are tailed to the individual as well as the car they are insuring depending on the insurance company so nobody here can tell what it will cost you. You will have to get online quotes and/or ring around the various companies for prices. There really is no short cut.

This.

However 2010 Ford Ka 1.2 is newish, sluggish and it does not have VTEC in the name. This should be a very good car to insure...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

As mentioned, it is indeed slow, cheap and small, and relatively new you should be ok insurance wise...

under the skin it's a fiat 500 and actually a somewhat decent drive around town, I've no experience of that engine in particular but was in a fiat 500 with the 0.9l twinair and found it quite good, nothing to write home about but nice enough not to feel like setting the thing on fire after a few miles. The Ka is basically a 500 but at the right price.

Anyways, let us know how it goes, might interest others looking for a first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

bazz26 wrote: »
    As an example, was looking at 2 cars for my wife to insure (only named experience). One car was €800 p.a., another €1700 p.a. the Second was in a different insurance group and so they loaded that if you had less than 3 years confirmed experience. If I was to get quotes for myself, both would be cheaper and the difference would be much smaller (say €500 and €600, just picking numbers out of the air).

It's very complicated, and opaque.

Advertisement