Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spookiest places in Waterford

Options
  • 05-05-2016 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

There a couple of places I never really feel comfortable around in this city. If you've ever walked passed St Otterans at twilight you'll here the bells going off. Quite freaky at times. Anybody else know places are just a little creepy or unsavoury to be around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The alleyway between Marian Park and Mount Sion Centre can be very weird, even in bright daylight...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Hennessy's road area the part between the end of blakes lane and bunkers hill , real spooky in the night, old tales tell of the headless coach man on his coach traveling along there in the dark of night. The banshee on barracks street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The clubs closing time on a Saturday night is pretty scary...plenty of ghouls on show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Forever21 wrote: »
    Hennessy's road area the part between the end of blakes lane and bunkers hill , real spooky in the night, old tales tell of the headless coach man on his coach traveling along there in the dark of night. The banshee on barracks street.

They knocked the scariest of them all ...... the penitentiary on Hennessy's Road, just opposite the end of Roanmore Park.

• Advertisement

All of that area Hennessy's road , blakes lane, bunkers hill , barracks street so so scary , like there's underground bunkers running from under the houses from st carthages avenue off barracks street all the way down to little sisters of the poor & beyond, no wonder the whole area is scary & if you ask me haunted. Wasn't there a military barracks where st carthages avenue is ? . Has anyone anymore info on the area.what was the penitentiary?

All of that area Hennessy's road , blakes lane, bunkers hill , barracks street so so scary , like there's underground bunkers running from under the houses from st carthages avenue off barracks street all the way down to little sisters of the poor & beyond, no wonder the whole area is scary & if you ask me haunted. Wasn't there a military barracks where st carthages avenue is ? . Has anyone anymore info on the area.what was the penitentiary?

The penitentiary was a big square stone building with cells in the basement. Those cells even had chains remaining.

It was generally believed, way back, that there was at least one, and possibly more, underground passageways from it ..... one up to the barracks on Barrack Street.
    I never heard of any of them being excavated, so it was possibly just imagination.

Anyone wishing to read some history of Waterford might take a look at this
    http://snap.waterfordcoco.ie/collections/ejournals/100748/100748-1.pdf
    Allied to the heavy emphasis on the penal system we find the House of Industry, with its treadmill. This later gave way to the Fanning Institution which, in its turn, is now gone. Again, we find on Hennessy's Road the Penitentiary -
    a rather unusual building of octagonal design that was taken down in the nineteen fifties to make way for Roanmore Park.
    My information contradicts this.
    As far as I am aware the Penitentiary was not knocked until the 60s long after Roanmore Park was in existence and the houses populated.

Nonetheless that is a very interesting document ;)

Ah now you have me interested , no wonder the headless coachman was seen & as far as I remember from the stories told to us as children those bunkers are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

yeah it was an artillery position over looking the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

yeah it was an artillery position over looking the city

A shell hit it in 1922 causing a fire. I think it would of been pretty cool to still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

http:// maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,660140,611706,10,8

sorry can't link

OSI 6" map shows the penitentiary and artillery barracks

Edit: Penitentiary looks like its Ceannt Road now

http:// maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,660140,611706,10,8

sorry can't link

OSI 6" map shows the penitentiary and artillery barracks

Edit: Penitentiary looks like its Ceannt Road now

At the time prior to its being demolished ..... which for such a marvellous building was shameful ..... there was a group of 4 houses on the town side and then a line of similar houses on the other side in groups of 4, down to the first left turn (dunno names of roads).
    The area behind the Penitentiary and all those houses was green field and used for kids of the time to play ball and such ...... as was the green patch at the joining of Roanmore Park and Hennessy's Road.
    In later years all that green space behind the existing houses was filled in with new houses, and a lot of the existing houses lost rear access I believe. The 'green' at the end of Roanmore Park was 'developed' and lost its usefulness to kids who wanted to kick ball :)

Advertisement