Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access table setup to avoid duplicates

Options
  • 05-05-2016 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

It seems to be trivial, but somehow I'm struggling with this problem. I'm using access with lookup.

Tables:
    PRODUCER
    ID (unique, primary key)
    PRODUCER_NAME

PRODUCT
    ID (unique, primary key)
    PRODUCT_NAME
    PRODUCER_NAME (linked as lookup to PRODUCER table)

I want to avoid having duplicates in the PRODUCT table. So there might be multiple positions with PRODUCT_NAME = 'Pasta', but they cannot have the same PRODUCER_NAME.
    This is OK:
    ID=1, PRODUCT_NAME = 'Pasta', PRODUCER_NAME='Roma'
    ID=2, PRODUCT_NAME = 'Pasta', PRODUCER_NAME='Irish Pasta Industry'
    but this is not:
    ID=1, PRODUCT_NAME = 'Pasta', PRODUCER_NAME='Roma'
    ID=2, PRODUCT_NAME = 'Pasta', PRODUCER_NAME='Roma'

Obviously I can't force PRODUCT_NAME to be unique, so I need some method of checking if an entry with a certain combination of PRODUCT_NAME and PRODUCER_NAME is already in the table. I'm OK with VBA, but I want to keep things simple, so I'd prefer to do it without VBA.

How to solve it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just an idea - concatenate the two fields into a third field, and make this unique?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

Your PRODUCT table would be better with PRODUCER_ID rather than PRODUCER_NAME, and then make your primary key on the PRODUCT table (ID, PRODUCER_ID), i.e. it's a composite primary key with those 2 columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

PRODUCT table in field PRODUCER_NAME has link to PRODUCER.ID, but it's access lookup, so I named it PRODUCER_NAME.
    Anyway, thank for the suggestion: composite primary key sounds exactly like something that I need!

I'll try both (a calculated unique field MODEL_NAME + PRODUCER_NAME).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I made primary composite key from PRODUCER_ID (lookup) and PRODUCT_NAME and I kept ID as autonumber field, but it's not primary key anymore. That seems to work.

I calculated unique field is not an option in ms access

Advertisement