Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots in match play

Options
  • 05-05-2016 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Just trying to clarify something.

In singles and doubles match play do the shots count again if you are playing extra holes?

So if a player has a shot on index 8, the first hole and then the match goes down 19, does he get the shot again ?

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Just trying to clarify something.

In singles and doubles match play do the shots count again if you are playing extra holes?

So if a player has a shot on index 8, the first hole and then the match goes down 19, does he get the shot again ?

J

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

mafc wrote: »
    Yes

Any idea where it is covered in the rules? I can't seem to find it.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Any idea where it is covered in the rules? I can't seem to find it.

J

Nice, you accept his answer but then you question it!!!.
    A more relevant question would be, why makes you think a player wouldn't receive shots when a match goes to extra holes?

H

PS. BTW he is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭paulos53

Rule 33-6 states that the Committee have the power to decide on this but need to announce in advance how the halved match match would be resolved

In Appendix 1 B-10 of the Rules the R&A recommend the following
    A match that ends all square should be played off hole by hole until one side wins a hole. The play-off should start on the hole where the match began. In a handicap match, handicap strokes should be allowed as in the stipulated round

So your club have the power not to give shots in tie holes if they wish

Interestingly the CONGU manual recommends that the first hole should not have an index of 1 to 8 to reduce the chances of somebody having a shot on the 19th hole in matchplay sudden death.
    If this does not suit stableford comps then they recommend having separate stroke indices for each format.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A more relevant question would be, why makes you think a player wouldn't receive shots when a match goes to extra holes?

H

PS. BTW he is correct.
    Nice is not being a smart ass. You're getting good at that. It stops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

H

PS. BTW he is correct.

I just needed the wording to put on our notice board. I was not questioning the validity of his answer

J

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

paulos53 wrote: »
    Rule 33-6 states that the Committee have the power to decide on this but need to announce in advance how the halved match match would be resolved

In Appendix 1 B-10 of the Rules the R&A recommend the following

So your club have the power not to give shots in tie holes if they wish

Interestingly the CONGU manual recommends that the first hole should not have an index of 1 to 8 to reduce the chances of somebody having a shot on the 19th hole in matchplay sudden death.
    If this does not suit stableford comps then they recommend having separate stroke indices for each format.

It obviously open to interpretation but I think The power the committee has refers to giving them the option to say have a 3 hole play off or a full rematch in event of a tie.

I know my club has a separate match play set of indices to spread out the shots and keep them away from the start/end of the round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm surprised anyone would think the shots don't count. To give an example - I played a fella playing off 6 when I was a junior and playing off 24. So a shot a hole, very easy to work out. Imagine how lopsided the playoff would be if we were even over 18 holes with the shots then started again without them!

Advertisement