Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is why safe, legal abortion is necessary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Pretty poor taste to link this story to abortion when no one knows the circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

eviltwin wrote: »
    Pretty poor taste to link this story to abortion when no one knows the circumstances

Got to agree with this, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Whilst I agree with abortion in certain cases, the circumstances of this case are not clear, and until they are, it should not be used as a tool to further a political agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Using a tragedy to push an agenda is not the way to further a cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I can understand why you might consider it poor taste, but it's stories like these that highlight the real life consequences to our medieval laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

How so?

A newborn baby was disposed of in a bin. The mother obviously couldn't cope. There's only so much help someone can get if they find themselves pregnant. It doesn't matter how the mother feels, she has to go through with it.

And to end up with a situation where a newborn is dumped. If Ireland doesn't change after this, it never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I can understand why you might consider it poor taste, but it's stories like these that highlight the real life consequences to our medieval laws.

But you don't know what the full story yet.

You are just making assumptions and then using them to further your personal agenda.

There's nothing to suggest the mother wanted an abortion.

The Raptor wrote: »
    How so?

A newborn baby was disposed of in a bin. The mother obviously couldn't cope. There's only so much help someone can get if they find themselves pregnant. It doesn't matter how the mother feels, she has to go through with it.

And to end up with a situation where a newborn is dumped. If Ireland doesn't change after this, it never will.

It's disgusting to use a story like this to further a political agenda and I say that as someone as pro choice as they come. We don't know the first thing about the mother or her intentions or her circumstances. Maybe she did want an abortion but maybe she wanted the child and he was stillborn, maybe she had no choice in what happened. Let's wait and see what the circumstances are before we start jumping to push a particular social cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

There could be 100 other reasons other than lack of abortion why this happened, but it doesn't stop those using it to push their agenda.

No compassion at all

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    There's nothing to suggest the mother wanted an abortion.

But she didn't want the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We have no idea of the circumstances.

The events in Crumlin over the past week are an example of a sad possibility.

How do you know?

You don't know that. You don't know what happened! For all you know the mother could be dead somewhere too.

hairyslug wrote: »
    We have no idea of the circumstances.

The events in Crumlin over the past week are an example of a sad possibility.

What happened in Crumlin? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As others have said you have jumped the gun on this. Until the whole story is revealed no one should be using this sad situation to further their agenda.

I am saying this as an advocate for Pro-Choice as well.

The child may have died during birth and the mother panicked. The mother and child may have been the victims of a dangerous partner.
    Who knows.

The pro choice side does itself no favours by jumping on such tragedies to further it's cause and make a point. Not every sad case and death of a baby needs to be made in to an abortion debate.

I say that as being pro choice.

How do you know?

The baby was dumped like a bag of puppies.

How do you know the mother did it?

Not necessarily by the mother!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If this was purely linked to our abortion laws then this wouldn't happen in the UK. A quick google will show you it does. Like others, I think it's in poor taste to use this tragedy for an agenda.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-35689266

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/baby-found-dead-near-newport-10821157

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

What happened in Crumlin? :confused:

I'm not sure if this link will work, I'm on mobile

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0428/784942-babies-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Ignoring the crassness of your phrasing, how do you know it was the mother that disposed of the baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'll echo the above... Poor time to be pushing the abortion agenda (and I say that as someone pro-choice and a father myself). We have no idea what happened here.

Thread should be edited and renamed IMO... RIP to the little one involved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Which also happens in plenty of countries where abortion is easily available. Have a read about America's safe haven laws.

Speculating on this poor girl and poor baby's case at this early stage is wrong and distasteful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Could somebody lock this now please. No potential upside to this thread.

How do you know the mother did it?

I don't know. But what animal would do that to a small baby. The most logical thing was a stressed out mother that couldn't cope.

I don't know. But what animal would do that to a small baby. The most logical thing was a stressed out mother that couldn't cope.

It's one possibility but by no means the only one and I think judging the mother when we don't know the facts is unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

New born child is dead but sure lets make it about the right for women to do what they want with 'their' bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cathy.C wrote: »
    New born child is dead but sure lets make it about the right for women to do what they want with 'their' bodies.

Ah, stop with it. I'm pro-choice but there's no way I'd use this as a way for advocating a change in the abortion laws. And as you can see most others wouldn't either. Please let's not let this become tit for tat bickering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement